Anyone tried EA71 P/S on an EA81?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Silverbullet

Anyone tried EA71 P/S on an EA81?

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Just looking at photos of the 1600cc EA71 and it's power steering setup, how the pump is like the EA82 L series where it nestles down neatly next to the dizzy in front of the carburettor. Wondering why didn't Subaru use this kind of setup on the EA81? It's so much neater and more compact than the ungainly EA81 power steering pump with its huge bracketry and belt.

So is it possible to bolt an EA71 pump onto an EA81? Of course custom hoses would need to be made to reach the rack. Then the next problem is finding an EA71 pump; could hardly even find any information on the EA71 except for a few photos and a gumtree listing for someone selling a complete engine. I believe the EA71 came in the ugly type wagons and utes? up to 1979? For Australia anyway, our member from Nairobi has shown us his EA71 that came in an L series.

So, anyone got an EA71 with a power steering pump they would be willing to help my investigation? Top dollar paid! ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:22 pm

I've seen that engine advertised. I'm keen on it but not at that price.

From what I've seen and read you need the bracketery and the crank pulley. You also need to change your water pump to the "turbo" double pulley style, it's basically the same as the EA81 unit but has the EA82 pulley attached to it.

I think the rest of it is all EA82 gear from there.

I want this setup so it's easier to add the EA82 MPFI stuff to the EA81 - it's all in the pipe line for some day...

And I think you'll find that this EA71 is an L series import - I don't know why they kept the EA71 in the L's in other markets, I could understand having the EA81. From what I understand not much is interchangable between the EA71 and EA81 in terms of intakes etc. I don't know much about the heads or the internals...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”