CV shafts for dummies, CVS 1.01 .... help

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Nubaru

CV shafts for dummies, CVS 1.01 .... help

Post by Nubaru » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm

calling help in a small voice

I want to do a 5 speed conversion on my Brumby and know I am in for more than I wanted to chew as the donor was a efi and came with 25 spline stubs on the box for front wheel drive bit.The 25 spline double offset joints are off , clean and ready to fit, but swear, swear refering to gregories manual 501 the components are inner race, balls, cage and the thing I keep hearing called cups is outer race by name. I expected to just swap nice clean complete on the Brumby axle shaft, but the 25 spline carries through to the inside of the inner race. Could never see it spelled out in searching on notes in conversions - all i could find related to EJ conversions anyway.

I think I am spell it out now. It looks that I need good 23 spline double offset joint inner race from the Brumby to use with a 25 splines cage with whoevers balls.
is this how it is supposed to be in doing adaptations ?

Because, for readers to picture what I encountered - correct length axle shaft with 23 splines each end, trying to simply mate the box's original 25 spline outer race [big green fluted cup] now, I know the inner joints gearbox end is 25 splines, did not know never had it spelled out, that the differences between 23 spline and 25 spline carries through to the inner ball cup and axle shaft splines

Or does wholus bolus 23 spline inner race, balls and cage fit and work inside a 25 spline cup ?

So, my list of parts would read something like

MY 4WD front axle shaft 23 splines
MY std constant velocity joint 4WD for the wheel end

and for gearbox end :
MY inner ball race
balls to suit
outer race [cups]
snap ring inner for the end
wire snap ring outer inside edge of outer race [cup]

If those of you know and can confirm one way or another, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Wondering if the inner race on MY 4WD is same as inner race FWD MY - hope not, I threw them away years ago.

So, buy an inner double offset joint and flick the outer race? [ like chicken wings and legs ] :) and it will all work ??

thankyou
member since 10january2014 #6191

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Looks like I am in the same boat here then. Must investigate. What has happened to the informed ones willing to spill the truth beans on this task ? bf I bet !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm

anyone else contemplating CV service - allow for one t shirt per end of a shaft for all the bloody grease for starters!

I have snipped the boot bands, peeled boots back, undone big circlip just inside the inner (DOJ) of a pair of mismatched shafts. 25 spline off my old FWD Vortex and a 23 spline shaft off something else.

I cant help your cause, only hinder it because I have found same mismatching components. The cups, circlip, spring clip, race inners and cage even the ball bearings are just simply larger scale on the 25 spline components compare to the 23 spline bits.

There is nothing to lego together. L Series axle shafts themselves are 40 or 45mm longer, so they can't be used. Maybe some EJ innards are needed ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:07 am

Looks like we are on our own on this, 'cept one busy member emailed me some detail - thanks Nev - just sort of reads like Tims EJ turbo running EJ AWD box in his MY about ten years ago. Liberty inners of some sort, FWD Leone axle shafts......for a 25 spline EA box likely much the same.

the MY factory manuals indicate the FWD axle shaft is 2 mm longer between where each boot is banded, not actual length of shafts though mind you :(

Just wiped out another 25 spline L Series DOJ cup to , blink, blink, wassis ??

Yup, this cup looks genuine multiribbed, is 25 splines where it fits to a 25 stub axle yet think has smaller ball bearings and importantly , dear reader , has a 23 spline inner race to fit on axle !! Maybe an auto L Series cup ? Maybe off a E4AT L Series turbo GLTA ??

Got more to pull apart now looking for its sister !

also using the tambox towel method to deal with the grease. Last count I had 93 t - shirts, and just written a few off with these filthy things trying to keep the juck to a minimum.

Paul, sent you a PM

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:24 am

As I understand it, a Gen 1 liberty inner cup is used (25 spline) or The matching L cup(25 spline) with the brumby/MY bearings race Etc. on the Brumby shaft.

But you may need to wait for confirmation from RSR555.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm

further looking at - only have one to look at unfortunately - the correct looking inner cup DOJ is smaller size overall than the typical 25 spline L Series, more the same outer dimension of a 23 spline MY DOJ. Also noted the 25 spline baby is shorter in length and this might be where FWD MY shafts come into play - the measure given in the factory manuals indicates a FWD shaft is 4 mm longer between boots. Which might be why they are sourced ? Both FWD and 4WD are 25mm thick in the axle on MY according to the manuals.

Second time in my life I have wondered just what the numbers and letters mean in joint size 87 AC and 82AC - maybe a universal measurement ?
Waiting on RSR's return..

Gen1 Lib would be about same era the 59 GLTA E4AT came out, doing a bit of c r o s s b r e e d component sharing

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”