plastidip craze hit you yet?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Nubaru

plastidip craze hit you yet?

Post by Nubaru » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Have read on US forums about the use of plastidip and just figured as I not seen it for sale here in Australia - not available. Not so - found it and other brands on ebay, and here is a good demo video link @ youtube by plastidip boy himself - Fonzie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY

About 30 bucks a spray can @ autobarns and autopros it claims somewhere.

I think it is worth a shot on interior stuff like consoles and stuff.
Has anyone else used this stuff yet ? It has a certain permanency and a removability. Fonzie sprayed a patch on a new Audi just to show
member since 10january2014 #6191

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 pm

It was all the craze on Perth WRX forum a couple of years ago, most people had success with it, readily available as I nearly bought a can in Carnarvon a few weeks ago but decided to wait till I'm back in Perth.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Yeah its good stuff if used correctly.

I'm just about to do a set of chrome rims with it. Its really expenisve to get the chrome chemically stripped and very time consuming to mechanically strip and impossible to paint straight over. But the plastidip will stick to it OK according to the manufacturer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Interesting product, have heard of it before but never looked into it. Would be a great solution to those of us wanting to re-colour our 80's brown interior plastic pieces ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:38 am

price here, price usa - 30 bucks for an arsol spray can here, or $US46 for four litres there !

It is an exterior panel cover too! Seen a couple of hot hatches (never thought I'd be saying that about a Hyundai (who produced a Scrooge McDuck vehicle look-a-like FTWISI !) the Veloster turbo, and a Renault - both sporting a budget looking finish - no shiny clear coat = dull, matte finish. Now wondering if they were shot with this rubber dip stuff ?

Looks hell easier than carbon fibre vinyl wrap. Looked on utube and found some fella suggesting a 98F temp of the spray can and contents to get a better finish and lots of light coats.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:43 am

I did my light covers on the vortex a while back, just as a test. By brother did his rims. My advice would be to mask places you dont want overspray. Yeah you can clean it off, but if it isnt a nice 5-6 layer coat it takes some elbow grease.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:46 pm

got a case of the I wants - the parcel shelf under the glovebox has copped a few hits, but seeing as I had console bits out - a waste really, they are pretty tidy, cleaned off the crumbs, qik wash and dry, masking and no wipe down prep , spray spray and holy schmoly Fatman - plastidip gunmetal grey IS the Brumby interior grey, got that rubbery feel of quality interior plastics like Foulcans.

Finger touch dry in 30 mins out in the sun. Will just try one coat to see how it fairs - might be harder to pull off in thin coat. I don't want to remove that feel :)

Also want to have enough to do the shelf ...

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”