water injection suitable pump ?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

water injection suitable pump ?

Post by steptoe » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Got a project on a back burmner due to the cappucino pump to drive the whole water injection thing is 240V - bit funny about hooking an inverter up in the glovebox and water about - now see this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-4L-Mi ... 1556505655

any thoughts idea ??

another hurdle is the water filter idea, methanol instead of water ....

maybe I just need some simple stuff to try, see if it works in extreme moments, then develop further with filters etc.

Time for foger jets maybe ??

Or finsih current projects first :(

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Ask Tweety perhaps? I remember he went down this road before the turbo road...or was this backburner'd project a result of seeing Tony's success back then? ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:32 am

Yikes I think 4 litres a minute might be a little excessive!
If you get the Cappuccino pump going you would have he added bonus of being able to make your morning coffee in the car on the way to work :-)
A Brumbycino perhaps?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:10 am

It has a pressure switch so if you connected it to a pressure holding tank, you could vary the required flow using your nozzles and the pump will cycle on and off, keeping the pressure relatively constant.

Im almost tempted to get it myself
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:52 am

Steptoe
Am I correct in thinking you want to fit water injection to an engine ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:12 pm

yes, Cliff, more so to the intake air of a turbo set up as an alternative to intercooler, cranked up by boost pressure light switch and based on autospeed article by Julian Edgar and friends using much same if not same fogger jets for chook sheds ...

I have seen what hydrogen producer does to the underbonnet and insides of an engine, don't want that white mess !

Think Tony shelved his water injection project just like I did with my 240V pump sourced from same place or better in autospeed article.
The fogger jet is likely gonna limit the 4l per min thing - don't want hydrolock.
Make for a bloody good windscreen squirter :) maybe so good froth up the soap suds too good :p
Proton mouse wrote:Yikes I think 4 litres a minute might be a little excessive!
If you get the Cappuccino pump going you would have he added bonus of being able to make your morning coffee in the car on the way to work :-)
A Brumbycino perhaps?
Could do, but I would be swearing at myself for being some time poor a- hole who should know better than to mix drinking and driving, effing get up earlier, make and have ya coffee at home you git ! Cup holders in cars is a safety hazard as far as I can see it !

outback

Post by outback » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:20 pm

http://www.riceracing.com.au/water-injection.htm

He seems to know a lot about the stuff.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Steptoe
Sorry, meant to reply to this before we went out of town for a few days holidays.
Anyway, back now.
All this talking reminded me of my Edelbrock electronic water injection kit I bought back in about 1985. I last had it on an 83 Telstar and also bought the additional Vara-jection monitor (row of LED's) which showed how hard the pump was working depending on the motor vacuum (I think, it has been a while).
Kept it as I intend to put it on the MY at some stage.
There is plenty of info on the web under Edelbrock vara jection Cat No 9356 but they seem pretty popular.
If you need any info let me know and I will see what I can do.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 pm

thanks Cliff. I was planning to reread my old Zoom articles and refer to autospeed...see if I get around to it, so much to do. Oh, those MY strut inserts we were talking about ...May last year ??? One was dodgy - no spring back like the other, so rather than their pooness transfer from one ausube member to another, to another - tossed them. They could not have been only 5000km old as claimed by member who sold them to me :(

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks Steptoe, I forgot about the inserts but I believe I can get them from Autopro anyway so all good.
Hope you can sort things out with the water injection. I only ran mine with a water metho mix. Not sure where I thought I was heading with this concoction nor if it made any difference but would be good to have another go.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Jonno. My wi pump type was snow..
Make. Was fine had pressure switch on manifold. Zero difference to economy. Had nozzle from mob in totemham west Melbourne. All sold with s/charger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:34 pm

thanks Tony, think Snow had a snow flake logo from memory ??

Scored another spfi inlet manifold for a future project in the mail today. Projects #'s nowhere near getting a number assigned for completion :p

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm

yeh I recall, it was a snow performance pump. used a windscreen washer bottle from a commodore (dont tell anyone= shame) between tank and pump.

Nozzle was the smallest i could find and it used 2 litres per 500 kms distance.see http://www.cylex.com.au/reviews/viewcom ... d=15262537

The pressure switch was disassembled and a spring taken out so the switch only came on when revved over 1500 rpm from memory. In line caravan water filter, one way fitting between pump and nozzle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:27 pm

steptoe wrote:Scored another spfi inlet manifold for a future project in the mail today.
How'd you score that - and is there another available (to complete Tweety's kit)?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”