EA81 flywheel 225mm with EA82 21mm step

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

EA81 flywheel 225mm with EA82 21mm step

Post by steptoe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Yep, this is the next project one day - to use an EA82 4WD or FWD turbo clutch on the back of an EA81 to suit an L Series EA82 5MT DR 4WD box.

The 23mm step of the EA81 flywheel has been reduced to 21mm, leaving just a few mm of meat to hold the ring gear in place. No ring gear was harmed in this project. EDIT: should read better than that <<< no meat was removed from the ring gear contact points when done this way. An option was to continue with the rotary stone grinder but that would have reduced the ring gear at same time - unless maybe, more precision was available ??

All standard clutch components - no modded or mix of bits n pieces this time around, just an L pedal and cable .....

stone ground friction plate surface and the pressure plate surface was turned down on a lathe once a spigot adaptor was made to hold the funny shaped EA81 flywheel. Chamfer was a problem for the chuck mounting

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Ahh very good :) Keep us posted on this one, would like to see options for the clutch in my wagon; I've got 3 EA81 flywheels lying around somehow :confused:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Kewl ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Yeah - I would also like to see a side by side comparison between all of them ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Well option one was my first with the 200 mm EA81 flywheel, std pressure plate and an early Gemini petrol 1600 cc friction plate. The EA82 L Series clutch throw out bearing had a larger contact diameter than what the pressure plate was used to, so required pedal to floor for nice gear changes, and something just never felt quite right. Still, lasted about 240,000km, still little wear of friction lining .

Another option is use EA82 flywheel on the back of the EA81, but from what I can gather - the holes for fly to crank bolts are larger, bolts are larger as well ??

Something to deal with would be the void between EA81 fly to crank bolts in larger fly holes ??

This option of machine the 225mm EA81 flywheel to take all normal clutch seemed to be the best - just took a bit to find right guys to share the machining :) , a box of beer and $20 !

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”