3D Printed Replacement Parts ...

Collection of automotive design / construct projects by Bantum ...
Bantum
General Member

thingiverse ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:46 pm

steptoe wrote:Bantum, is there a way to find the size of each file on thingverse of yours before committing to a download button click ... ?
Yep, scroll down to 'thing files' & click on that - should show all objects with individual file size. Note you can download just the one you want, or the whole lot via zip ... :evil:

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

fuel release pull ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I've got a few kicking around, couldn't work out what they were really for except to cover up that one screw hole
Wonder if there was a fuel cap release mechanism for this ...? Don't recall seeing any. Got any pictures of yours ?

Caio, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:27 pm

Bantum wrote:Wonder if there was a fuel cap release mechanism for this ...? Don't recall seeing any. Got any pictures of yours ?

Caio, Bantum ...
Ah that could be it, maybe in the sedans? Next time I'm out there I'll take a photo or two.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm

same thought here as well fuel door opener , and is it same left to right ? Just makes it look tidier with no gaping hole. I have used silver duct tape to cover up.

Another part ...left and right, the little black trim piece that is on the sides that the tailgate closes up next to, plug end fits under the stainless steel top trims.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:16 am

Dunno, never seen one - will have to get some photos ... :)

Add : Here is another add to the list : Sun Visor Clip

Found Here : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:967539

Note : While not specifically for a Brumby, it could be modified to fit ... :)

And this : Fuse Puller

From here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1074960

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:13 am

One ute needs four of these, two lefts, two rights as they also plug up the ends of the tailgate trim itself

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 am

Bantum, has your 3D scanning or design software got a function to give you a mirror image of what you produce?

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:49 am

Ah sorry yep got one of them end clips ( among several other bits on the drawing board ) was referring to the fuel pull lever, never seen one for a Brumby ...

Edit : I've got the part numbers for those wanting them :

Add : yes you can mirror / reflect & do all manner of things with sketchup - save as .stl file and check for continutiy ( basically means that all faces of object are pointing out, and no holes ) with a program called netfabb. Yet to sort out software for the scanner.

Keep adding more as get them sorted ... ��

Cheers, Bantum ...

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:01 pm

>One ute needs four of these, two lefts, two rights as they also plug up the ends of the tailgate trim itself

I don't think that's correct. The tailgate trim end caps are a thinner material than the end caps of the side/corner pieces from memory. I could be wrong though, my side/end caps have been missing for awhile...
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Bantum
General Member

huh ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58 am

Sorry Steptoe is on the money : 2 lefty & 2 righty ( still working on them )

Another issue has arisen though, that of copyright.

- Who owns the original ? +Do they still have ownership ?
- What happens ( legally wise ) when I go copying stuff ?
- Can I claim copyleft ? ( if you know what that means )
- What protection do I have from claims against the copy ?

Just a few of them I've come across recently, so not sure how to proceed yet ... :confused:

Got any suggestions ?

Ciao, Bantum ...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:29 am

the copyright act should help you with those questions

http://www.copyright.org.au/acc_prod/AC ... 5f6672fc31

Answering your questions from memory

Subaru ... 90 years (90 years is standard issue from memory)
Royalties royalties royalties if you make copies in the 90 year period
You can but you must pay Royalties royalties royalties
That depends on their corporate lawyers

Get in touch with Subaru and find out about reproduction parts for older cars and what are the legal obligations.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:41 am

Sorry had to type it in again ( hate this tablet )

Was going to say that it mostly relates to commercial use where you make moneys from it, doesn't say squat about free enterprises where you give away stuff with no copyrights ... ��

So it's a bit of a grey area as far as the law is concerned, it still hasent caught up with the reality of current situation im afraid ... ��

A good example is to try & find details of 'copyleft' ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Edit : Came back to fix up. Stupid tablet ... :(

Ciao, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:50 am

Having given up on the idea of flank badges to read BRUMBY instead of SUBARU being made on a CNC by a signwriter that I no longer acknowledge is alive (think it is mutual :) ) am discussing idea again with another sign manufacturer who has similar standing with same dude mentioned above. May just get about to having aluminium ones made and may work a deal for a number of 'em They might just be more durable and accessable than 3D printed ones.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:15 pm

steptoe wrote:Having given up on the idea of flank badges to read BRUMBY instead of SUBARU being made on a CNC by a signwriter that I no longer acknowledge is alive (think it is mutual :) ) am discussing idea again with another sign manufacturer who has similar standing with same dude mentioned above. May just get about to having aluminium ones made and may work a deal for a number of 'em They might just be more durable and accessable than 3D printed ones.
I had similar ideas of getting ally ones or similar machined up, all the work is in the designing on the computer though, or cost in paying someone else to design it. I did plenty of 3d CAD at my old job with a really nice (err $20k) program, was a joy to use. Left that behind 6 months ago, have solidworks on my home pc and I absolutely hate it :neutral: Can't get anything useful out of it.

Looks like Bantum has the 3d models pretty down pat, what formats can sketchup export in? Just a matter of e-mailing a file to someone who does custom CNC stuff, if its the right format ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Sketchup ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 am

Yeah - From Sketchup you can export pretty much any file format you want … :)

If you contact the machine shop & let me know what type of file the machineist needs, then I can upload it …. :D

Add : The other way to do it would be to get the 'pug' printed in either wax or plastic, then make a sand mould to cast it in aluminium ... ��

Cheers, Bantum …

Bantum
General Member

Marketing ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:07 am

Yep Steptoe - if you do want to go to the trouble of getting some 'Brumby' badges made up, don't let me stop you. ( I might get pair myself ) Just haven't had the time or finances to do it.

Just remember it's been released on a 'creative commons' licence, so you will need to acknowledge where you got it from & is to be used for personal use only. ( Its not like there's thousands to be made from them ) Same goes for all the other parts that I've uploaded ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Failed print ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:09 am

Also did a trial print of the cancelling sleeve :

Bit of a stuff up with the settings, so will have to print it again... :(

Ciao, Bantum ...

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 am

L series door handle surrounds might be nice. The plastic goes bad after being in the sun too long.
Power window surrounds also go brittle where the screws from behind break.

Might have some spares I can donate for the good of all if you need samples to measure off.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Bantum wrote:With the advent of some new 3D printing technology, finally we have been able to re-create all those broken / sun faded plastic parts ...

Well its done, so here are a few to get you started :

• Front Fender ... BRUMBY :

• Tail gate ... SUBARU GL :

• Bonnet ... 4WD :

They can be found here : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1065522

Haven't got round to printing them yet though ... :(

Will add more here as they become available ... :)
( You're welcome to post any that you find )

Ciao, Bantum ...

P.S. - I couldn't find a heading to put this under so an admin/techie may need to create a new section & move this thread later...
OK, went to thingverse,com on the BRUMBY flank badge hit the doonlood button and got some file 274 kb - that is a bit small, this ain't a file that can be err, sent to a factory in China to reproduce eh ? A mate is working on it, asking me how many, one or two - shipping containers full !

Looks like we are gonna start this from basics, pull badge off, measure its dimensions, take pics, change letters to read BRUMBY instead, and choose a decent plastic ....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Bantum wrote:Yep Steptoe - if you do want to go to the trouble of getting some 'Brumby' badges made up, don't let me stop you. ( I might get pair myself ) Just haven't had the time or finances to do it.

Just remember it's been released on a 'creative commons' licence, so you will need to acknowledge where you got it from & is to be used for personal use only. ( Its not like there's thousands to be made from them ) Same goes for all the other parts that I've uploaded ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...
Does this change if they are not made by 3D print process ??

Return to “Bantum’s Works”