EA82 throttle body grafted to spider

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

EA82 throttle body grafted to spider

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am

meet Fury's old spider manifold, that I got off Chris Rogers late 2006 - 9 year itch !!

After reading it can't be done ...

Once upon a time Disco had a plate welded to his spider so he could fit up a standard three plug or standard four plug ECU style throttle body to a spider manifold.

The spider pattern is about 5 mm closer, so I elongated the holes in this log style inlet manifold throttle body from an mpfi EA82 of some sort. Think it is a three pin TB as well with the extra three wire plug coming out of the TPS.

There is an overlap underneath, way overlap on the fast idle control device which is gettin' plugged up and the idle control device is either getting some epoxy build up or will use a thin plate sandwiched in with an ant trail grooved into it for finer speed tuning. Only LPG vapours and air going through this so not need any wire hook up or too fine a control of fast idle .....

EDIT with some studio lighting you can see two black holes

Plan is to fit it up to the EA82M (M is for Mongrel) in my old 84 Brumby before it gets pasturised again.

A standard spider throttle body turns the wrong way for install in non Vortex I think I read. Cant find my spider throttle body is another reason for this :(

I also cut down the boss/post of the lower right to bring it down level with the base. used rat tail file, 8 and 8.5mm drill bits and the rarely used end of a hacksaw blade to cut the post down, once drilled out in bench drill to max drill bit size I have ....

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Surely you could make an adapter plate out of some 6 to 10mm aluminium plate.

all those bits hanging out looks very agricultural...

I just had to check to see it wasn't April 1st already. :)

keep having fun Jono

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:59 pm

adapter plate ?? Just remembered the chunk under my drivers floor mat :D

Think I will just tap and grub up those holes, cross drill for idle bleed, plug the outer hole.

That is the underside and won't be seen by too many. Really did not wanna put in too much effort and find the thing is a pig. Had an idea and got into it, still got a few more TB's to play with.

And, the cross member is already turbo up pipe friendly ..who knows what could happen ? :)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:52 pm

So guys what is the reason or benefit from using a normal MPFI L series TB on the spider manifold! Seems like a bit of mucking around so whats the deal with that?

J.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 am

well Jay, for Disco it was the fact he had a 3 plug ECU that read from a throttle position switch and the spiders TPS is a throttle position sensor for a 4 plug ECU and the throttle cable pull side or direction was a concenr in his L from what i recall.

For me, can't find the spiders throttle body for one thing, it has a humungous set up on its throttle shaft and think if it pulls inconveniently to suit MY install .

Cripes this thing is tall, but reckn it will still just fit under the MY bonnet :)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Ah ha, thanks for that Jonno. Makes sense.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 am

and the early throttle bodies had a port for vac advance - something the later models did not have .Everything Disco did was well thought out.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”