DIY bash plate advice

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

DIY bash plate advice

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 pm

G'day all,

I'm wanting to build my own bash plate and have a question about the thickness of the ally plate to use.

I have access to a sheet metal bender press/bench. So my question is should I go for 3mm or 5mm plate?

The price of the 5mm is basically double of the 3mm, but I'm now wondering if the 3mm would ultimately be a waste of time and money by not being up to the task.

It's for my L series with three inch lift. I'm aiming to cover the sump, lower rad hose and Y pipe - without having one huge ally "front" by only bending the sheet right across the whole length. I'm aiming to have two "wing folds" on the front bent up piece (the face from the front view ) with the horizontal section under the sump to have two folded sections that "cup" the exhaust.

It works in cardboard, but that's way easier to sort out in comparison!

Any advice welcome. This has been on the cards for a very long time... I'm hoping to get it sorted with a long list of other things before our trip next week. This one is near the bottom but I'd still like to give it a go if I can manage it with this tight time frame!

Cheers

Bennie

AndrewT

Re: DIY bash plate advice

Post by AndrewT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Looking forward to some input on this too. My sump and headers have been hanging down like dogs balls since I built this car and I'm scared to traverse much more than sand! Need to sort something out.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”