engine start button ( i know it's rice) :)

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
spaceage

engine start button ( i know it's rice) :)

Post by spaceage » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:13 am

okay watching beyond tomorrow last nighti saw the mercedes slr mclaren.

the eciting it was the way it starts flip up the panel with the h pattern on the shifter and there is a engine start buttion underneath, so i got to thinking the 4wd manual vortex had the shifter with the 4wd switching button on top, how hard would it be to wire this button up to the ignition???

my vortex is 2wd so i would have to find a shifter as well

i know it's rice but i think it would be something different and could even be considered an anti-theft device in some ways if i left the button labeled as 4wd and disconnected the start part of the ignition switch.

opinions anyone???

i found a picture of the mercedes version
1999 Impreza RX

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:23 am

My tourer came with a similar but dodgy setup, the start wire from the ignition barely had been re-routed to a momentry switch on the dash.

To use the 4wd button I would definitely use a relay, also you would need to replace the switch with a momentry switch.

If thats the way you want to go theres not a real lot to it, pretty easy really.

Jordan
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:31 pm

I've put in an engine start button for my wagon. I kept the standard wiring for the start and just spliced it in. Also my key can be removed when the engine is running.

The key in the barrel must be turned to the "on" position. I then have a toggle switch to override the on circuit. That means when I stop i just flick the switch and it's the same as having the ignition pointing to off.

I have a push button in the coin compartment ( to the right of the steering wheel ) where it's not noticabe if you don't know it's there. This is wired up to the ignition circuit.

Works well :)

spaceage

Post by spaceage » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:07 pm

thanks for the replies as soon as i can find a 4wd shifter i will go ahead with it,

i found this on ebay for anyone else who is interested in a engine start button but doesn't have a vortex

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ENGINE-START-UP- ... dZViewItem

if i can't find a vortex 4wd shifter i will buy one of these
1999 Impreza RX

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”