EJ22 --> Brumby

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
RS_daN

EJ22 --> Brumby

Post by RS_daN » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:51 pm

sorry if this has been posted before. but i cant find it anywhere. Whats involved in sticking the EJ22 with AWD box and Diff in to the Brumby Ute. is it bolt in with no modifications to chassis rails and stuff?

xaymaca

Post by xaymaca » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:43 pm

Ok, there should be plenty of info on this conversion - if not here, it'll be on http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum. It is the same as an EJ22 into an MY sedan/wagon.

As long as your EJ22 is SOHC, you will not have to worry about the joys of chassis rail killing. As for bolting in, you will be required to slot the engine crossmember holes out about 1/2" each and there are four of them.

You will also have to work out wiring for the new engine, modify your radiator for larger outlets to suit the EJ, get EFI-worthy fuel hose and an EFI pump, also a surge tank as your petrol tank will not have one built in.

The EJ box is something I'm a little uncertain of as I will not be doing this with my conversion. I believe you need a custom tailshaft, as well as custom front driveshafts. With the rear diff, you will have to either swap over your current stub axels (not sure if this can be done in this instance) or again get custom driveshafts.

I'm sure there are other things, these are all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck! :twisted:
'87 Targa Brumby
'83 Sherpa

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:24 am

xaymaca wrote:you will be required to slot the engine crossmember holes out about 1/2" each and there are four of them.
There are only two, one slot on each side. You will also need to remove the little locating lug on the bottom of the EJ mounts.

I'm not entirely sure with the EJ22's, but with my EJ20T we had to lower the engine crossmember by 25mm, in the same manner as a lift kit. This was for several reasons, to clear the motor under the bonnet, to move the turbo away from the brake master cylinder and to clear the gearbox in the transmission tunnel. Doing this meant I couldn't use the standard steering linkage anymore (rack is further from column) but by pure luck a double-uni Liberty linkage fitted perfectly (power steering).

To make the 'box fit as well you'll need to run custom front inner CV joints, basically using MY inner bearings in EJ cups. The tailshaft will need to be lengthened, in the case of mine it was 120mm. The linkages will need to be shortened.

With the rear diff it really depends on what ratio you're looking at running. I'm running 4.11's in my coupe, and was easily able to source a rear viscous LSD with this ratio that bolted in and even used my stock MY axles. I beleive it was out of an early turbo Legacy.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:00 am

talk to steve at rising sun dan, as i just bought the awd box, viscous diff and l series disc brake rear end for that exact conversion. he did mention all of the things the boys have listed above and a few others, but he said if you are smart, the conversion is easy.

xaymaca

Post by xaymaca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:29 am

tim_81coupe wrote:There are only two, one slot on each side. You will also need to remove the little locating lug on the bottom of the EJ mounts.
Oh, sweet, thanks for clearing that up for me Tim! Much appreciated... I just keep on learning!
'87 Targa Brumby
'83 Sherpa

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”