Best seats for an L-series??

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
subalex

Best seats for an L-series??

Post by subalex » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Okey dokey... I've had only a few hours pass since I changed over the tail shaft on my L-series and while I wait for new CV's and the perfect home to buy to come up realestate.com for $5.25 I'm sitting here instigating the next in a series of improvements to the car...

I'm sure you all know the drill, you say that the car will take second priority over everything else, such as finding a roof for your family to huddle under when it rains, and it instantly does.... until the wife leaves for work.

I've had it run through my mind all too many times that I should upgrade the front seats (at least) of my L. Even the wife has complained many a time about being uncomfortble and she wants something better. They're too springy and don't have enough support so the question of the moment is...

What fits best for both L-series car and my body?

I've scanned e-bay over the years to see that those cheap leather bound sports seats can be bought for around $300 a pair with reclining function and rails included. However, many of them are designed to fit a bottom only a migit Japanese test driver could possess. Not knowing which of them fit in the car across the shoulders, let alone the hips, is quite a concern too.

I'm interested in following the direction of either a pair of WRX or Forester seats... I particularly like the idea of having the arm rests that the Forester seats have. So fellas, I haven't seen a comprehensive thread with much detail on this topic.<<Perhaps the Moderators could create a new "Interiors" section??>>

Let the debate or harrassment begin. Will Forester, WRX or other decent width bucket seats fit and how do go about fitting them? Photos, measurements, brackets and legalities would be lovely to address here.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:19 pm

I got a early wrx drivers seat in the L,cost $10 on ebay.Had to cut und shut a few bits to fit it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 pm

I had Toyota Paso seats in my last L - OK, slightly raised driving position, but being 6'2'' head on the roof lining off road.

Easy enough to fit - had to make custom rails.

Wouldn't do it again

On second L had the std seats redone - surprising how comfortable with foam in the right place instead of crumbs on floor beneath them.

Would find L-series RX seats and redo them if (when) i have another L

sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

subalex

Post by subalex » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:04 am

Stamp Licker... ok, $10 on e-bay.... my prayers would be answered if I could find that kind of bargain. What kind of cutting and shutting did that require? And, while we're on it, this would basically mean that the Forester seats would require the same treatment since the Impreza and Forester seats are interchangeable right?
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:00 pm

i just installed some liberty seats into my L series- sits much higher which can be good. they came from another L series but werent installed properly. they still have liberty rails.
the passenger seat bolted in no probs. the rear two bolts on the drivers side didnt line up so a bracket was cut and tacked on a little further along. and a hole and bolt+ spacer was put thru to the tranny tunnel on the other side. pretty easy to do. much more comfortable seat.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Modified similar to above for wrx seat,also cut off the seat belt mount.Once read that the forrester rials and the L rails can be drilled out and bolted which makes the mod legal.I rushed the fitting of mine but do remember thinking with a bit more time i could of drilled out the spot welds and cut up another seat making it all bolt together.I now have saas seat seat to fit in[legally] but wrx seat is way comfy.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:14 am

WRX seats can be quite narrow due to the side bolstering, they aren't designed for large people. I've found they are less comfortable than my OE Liberty seats on long journeys. Just something to consider.
SUBYDAZZ

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:33 am

I've read that Mazda 929 seats are almost a drop-in fit for MY's (and MY and L seats are basically interchangable). Mazda 929s (at least the 80s era models) are not uncommon at wreckers and should be pretty cheap...

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:33 am

aren't L tourer seats better ? different? in which case ought to be bolt in no worries.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:39 pm

ive got wrx seats in mine. Pretty easy mods to the rails were required.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:26 pm

SUBYDAZZ wrote:WRX seats can be quite narrow due to the side bolstering, they aren't designed for large people. I've found they are less comfortable than my OE Liberty seats on long journeys. Just something to consider.
Not the real early ones .

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”