Ej20 n/a +ej20 turbo differences

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Cam

Ej20 n/a +ej20 turbo differences

Post by Cam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Just wondering what the differences are between the ej201(n/a) and the ej205 or ej20g?

Will the ej20 turbo bolt up to the d/r n/a gearbox?

Differences in wiring?

Clutch setup?

Any other stuff i've forgotten...

Thanks, Cam.

Radeon

Post by Radeon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Hey mate.
Theres heaps of differences but just to name a few:
Different pistons and different compression ratios.
The gearbox will bolt straight up to the engine but the non-turbos use a push type clutch and the turbos use a pull type so if you were to use the non-turbo gearbox u will need to use the push type clutch which even though it would work, would not apply sufficient pressure to the drive plate and you will end up slipping your clutch a lot.
A lot of the wiring is different, i'm assuming you want to put a turbo engine in a non-turbo car? In which case you would need to swap the entire front loom to run it.
Abviously you would be lacking all the air intake and intercooler parts.
The exhaust is different (until first join).
Radiators are different.

Hope that helps =)
Richard.
Use what you can, make what you cant. Subarus Rock!!

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:17 pm

for the gearbox if ur asking if the bellhousing will match up, yes they all suit.
as for engines the 1 at the end of the EJ20 tells you it is a DOHC MPFI, 5 = DOHC MPFI TURBO and as for the letter at the end of EJ20G that is a early system that lets you know its a closed dek block.

eg
The 5 place that the G, T, or E holds is the division of fuel delivery. A G designates a DOHC MPFI Turbo engine. The E stands for SOHC MPFI engine and the T stands for SOHC MPFI turbo engine.
In the 5th position? Like EJ251 or EJ254? and EJ257, EJ207 and EJ205?
In '98 Subaru switched from the letter designations ( E, G, K, T, etc.) to numbers for division of fuel delivery1= DOHC MPFI
4= SOHC MPFI
5= DOHC MPFI turbo charged
7= DOHC MPFI high performance(aka STi) turbo
And in case it isn't obvious:
EJ= flat four
20 or 25= division of displacent in l.

As for the ecu and loom NA to Turbo wiring are the same style procedure to install tho its a full on task. As it usually needs a auto electrician

ohh and clutch, just stick witht he stock ej one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Cam

Post by Cam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 pm

just want to see what i need to do to convert from ej204 to ej20g or ej205, keeping the d/r gearbox...

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Chassis rails are too close I believe to fit the dohc in the brumby. Just going by what I have heard...

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:29 pm

The turbo EJ subaru's come with a very different Pull type clutch setup. The turbo gearboxes that work with this setup have a different bellhousing to support this system.
If you are keeping the d/r gearbox then you have a push clutch setup and you will need a custom beefed up pressure plate to hold the turbo engine power.

Yes, to fit any Quad cam EJ motor to an MY chassis you need to have the chassis rails widened. This is to clear the timing belt covers. It isn't as big a job as most people think, relatively minor infact as it doesn't involve actual structural mods. It's been covered quite a few times, have a search. There should even be photos.

Brownster

Post by Brownster » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Chassis rails as mentioned required to be modified for an EJ20 conversion..
'Brownster'
Was that just a Brumby ute that flew past?

Cam

Post by Cam » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Yeah its more the electrical side of things i wondering about, and clutch, the other stuff is fairly easy to work around...

The wiring diagrams have some wires which say turbo only, so im really just trying to work out if its just these i need to add and use the original injector wires etc or if i've got to add more...

Possible to use the n/a manifolds and use a stand alone boost controller?

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Brownster wrote:Chassis rails as mentioned required to be modified for an EJ20 conversion..
Ej 20 will fit without mod to rails.I think Ej25 might be a problem and ea82 definitely wont go in without mod.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

Brownster

Post by Brownster » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 pm

I have an EJ20 in my Brumby and there is no way will fit without modded rails. Even to the point to get to the rear spark plugs you have to drop the engine..
'Brownster'
Was that just a Brumby ute that flew past?

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”