Turbo outlet pipe diameter and EA82T's ?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:53 pm

What about this
Apex'i Super Ignition Timing Converter (S-ITC)

If you could find one of these, you could fine tune the ignition advance and could solve a lot of problems
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Going back to the rally people tomorrow to have my exhaust behind the cat increased from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" meaning the tube and both mufflers .

I also want another 3" flange joint at the foot of the turbo outlet pipe so all the exhaust bar the bit off the turbo can be removed quickly and easily .

If there's time I want the inner guard and lower air box air inlets increased to whatever ovalized 3.5" tube comes out to be .

Next trip I hope the adjustable urethane cushioned front strut tops go in and I can have some half decent geometry .

Will try to get snaps to Gannon , cheers A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:41 am

Well exhaust is now 2 1/2 inch behind the cat and has been 3" from the cat to the turbo for a short time .

I reckon I can honestly say this is about as big as most EA82T systems would need to be and still remain civilised on the street .
Together with the enlarged airbox and guard holes it has a sort of 70's style sporty note without being annoying in any way . No drones a just a very very minor noise when you lift of at say 3000 and up , nothing to worry me and I'm fussy about exhaust noise .

Some of the early 3 ECU plug attributes are starting to be felt and notably the vacuum advance part of the conventional distributor .
The thing is that when these engines lose their exhaust and inlet restrictions the inlet manifold pressure rises towards atmospheric far more easily meaning the cylinders are being more completely filled - greater volumetric efficiency .
The downside is that when the vacuum signal to the distributor is high then it won't advance the ignition timing as far as it used to .

I'm going to have to do something about that turbine and housing to get greater turbo response where its needed - lower down the engines rev range . Then I think this thing will have characteristics more like EA82Ts usually do but with more of everything everywhere .

Cheers A .

Also the 2.25 exhaust and mufflers are up for grabs if anyone in Sydney wants them . It would start from just behind the tail shafts center bearing and go over the hump to the back . Am throwing in the old dump section as well though it is flanged to suit a Garrett turbo .

Return to “Exhausts”