brumby exhuast

brockharro

brumby exhuast

Post by brockharro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:07 pm

hey guys ive got a 89 brumby and just wondering if anyone has gutted the muffler becuase im thinking of doing it and dont care bout peformance but does it sound good
or should i take the muffler out and just have pipe straight to the tip coz a mate did that but it was along time ago and ive got a feeling it wouldnt have enough back pressure

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:41 pm

if the rest of the system is o.k , just put on a straight thru muffler. shouldn`t cost more than $60/$80.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:41 pm

The brumby exhaust is probably small enough to create its own back pressure regardless of muffler or not. Gutting a muffler would create less back pressure than a straight through pipe in my imagination.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:56 am

must be another P plater in our midst :)

do it and you will attract RTA or police attention and likely get a 'full blue slip inspection' defect.

Get some earplugs too

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:16 pm

haha yer p plater
i pulled the back muffler off the other day sounds good but it back fires and that annoys the hell out of me but if i put straight to tip will it still back fire??
its ready straight through to the rear muffler except a hot dog so no middle muffler or anything

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:26 am

i have too inch with no hotty just sport muffler at the back and the decel cackle is great for drowning out white noise and bystanders mobile conversations - well... any conversation really :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:50 pm

steptoe wrote:i have too inch with no hotty just sport muffler at the back and the decel cackle is great for drowning out white noise and bystanders mobile conversations - well... any conversation really :)
Hehehe... Gotta love it - while my exhaust note is not the loudest or the cleanest subaru burble I still love it - and I enjoyed an old fella who came out of a tyre joint that I visited just to watch me head off. I'd hit third before he looked away. Stoked 8)

Gotta love a good exhaust that you're happy with. Just hope I don't start chasing a cleaner note with better mufflers/dogs - I think that's how its done right?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:46 pm

all done now straight thru to hot dog which was ready there then to a new 2 inch straight thru muffler sounds sick but still sorta back fires when i shift down and let the clutch out but i dont care just gotta make 2 inch all the way now

and new shifter linkages go in tomoz or thurs i cant even get in reverse but theres a better condish gearbox there just in case

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:48 pm

How loud do you reckon your system is now? Wanting to put a new exhaust on my brumby I just don't want it too loud, especially at highway speeds (already got a beamer that wakes the neighbours up each night :twisted:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:20 am

You'll find it's not backfiring, unless it's setting your aircleaner on fire or trying to blow its lid off...

What you're getting is a crackle from carbon monoxide converting under heat and not enough pressure, into much nicer carbon dioxide. Could be a bit of unburned fuel too...

As for having no muffler? A hot dog IS a muffler. it's not a resonator or a silencer (as such) but it is an effective muffler. Try putting a slightly restrictive tip on the exhaust and see if that clears up the note and reduces the crackle.

It's good to experiment and come up with ideas (and accidentally blow things up on occasion), as in the end that's what your experience will be made up of...
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:18 pm

hey nah its not to loud i only notice it when im accelerating which is most the time coz i live in the snowy mountains so its pretty much all the time
when i get to a flat bit you hardly here it and you sorta get that boxer rumble

but ill accelerate most the time coz it sounds sick aswell

Jimmy G

Post by Jimmy G » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:56 am

There is this option - a breakthrough of human technology keeping you happy & deceiving the police
http://www.xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:04 pm

hey yer there good but the inlet sizes are to big for a brumby and way to expensive for a cheap skate like me

Return to “Exhausts”