L series cat & exhaust query

apg39

L series cat & exhaust query

Post by apg39 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:18 pm

1990 L series, EA82, manual.

Looking in the engine bay (not enough time in the day to do much more unfortunately) where it looks like the headers merge...big lump of heat sheilds but there is a pipe coming out the top?? It has a hose clamp on it but nothing attached & I can't see what's meant to be there?

Has anyone got a underbody picture of a L series or picture of the exhaust off the car?

I'm getting a deafening tick which searches have told me is "normal" but I've put a bottle of the anti-ticking oil additive today to hopefully minimise it & will flush all fluids in the next week or so...but when I pull up at the workshop next to a wall the tick sounds more metal-like & I'm wondering where about the cat converter is on these cars & what are the options for replacement? Half tempted to remove it & just smash the insides out ;)
Cheers,
Andrew

dobo

Post by dobo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 pm

is this the pipe your missing? just below the cv?
that goes into the carby to help when the motors cold

disregard this if not :p

apg39

Post by apg39 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Yeah is that looking from the back side of the engine?

EDIT: what difference does it make if removed?
Cheers,
Andrew

dobo

Post by dobo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 pm

yeah sorry i don't have any better picture, looking over the top of the left outlet from the carby,
all it does is when the engines cold it pipes warm air from the exhaust into the carby, not really needed, dunno if needed for a roadworthy (if your getting one)

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:10 pm

as for the ticking, replacing the seals around the oil pump solved mine. i think mine was actually sucking air in, rather than pushing the oil around, so it was dropping no oil from there but wasn't circulating properly. we also machined the shaft from the belts to the pump because of some scratching.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

you may notice that foil tube goes to your air filter intake snorkel. it has a bimetal spring device or some other pollution contraption to allow warm air coming off exhaust in cold moments, and should when new, shut down when at or approaching operating temp.just helps with driveability and emissions i suppose

Return to “Exhausts”