Running EJ engine with no muffler?

taza
General Member

Running EJ engine with no muffler?

Post by taza » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Well today after I got over the hangover from last night I disconnected my muffler to see how loud the Foz would be.
The car has an EJ20 N/A manual with stock exhaust and aftermarket replacement muffler. It isn't very loud and I thought it might be an idea just to remove it.
So for the past 3 or 4 hours I have been driving around town with no muffler and it sounds so AWESOME! The boxer rumble when you take off or put your foot down. I had about 8 cop cars go past too but they didn't seem to notice much... ;)

Anyway my question is will this damage the valves or catalytic converter or even cause the check engine light to appear? Anyone ran without an exhaust before for periods of time?

Or am I better off to get a magnaflow muffler or something similar?

Cheers
Taza

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Sure you weren't still drunk? I used to do that to my cars back when I was 17 :) I haven't heard many Subaru's that sound good when loud which aren't turbo ones, the "rumble" mostly comes from the stock uneven length turbo headers. Alex's EJ22 did sound pretty cool with his little canon muffler I remember. No muffler at all? Interesting, I would love to stand corrected, post up a recording! :)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 pm

I ran my 2.5 NA with just the front section of exhaust in the garage and it sounded like a full on race engine - way too loud to even consider driving on the street - but boy did it sound sweet :-)

Swing by my place with it and I will tell you if its too loud or not - drive down Sunnybanks in Strathalbyn.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Well I don't think I was drunk ;) Well im 18 so yeah. haha

You could differently tell it was a boxer engine. Not exactly sure how loud it was, I didn't measure it but it was pretty darn loud. Could even hear it from 3 streets away. Couldn't stop laughlying nearly the whole time.

I have a few vids and will post them up.

Do you know if it will cause any issues? Make the engine run abit richer maybe?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:51 pm

taza wrote: Could even hear it from 3 streets away.
Sounds like it's still got nothing on Hatchie - that thing was LOUD but when in the car not too bad... I remember waiting at Jaffa's to meet Subarino, we could hear him coming - every gearchange - and it took him a good 5 minutes to pull up in the driveway. Good times!
taza wrote:Do you know if it will cause any issues? Make the engine run abit richer maybe?
Dunno about that. The no rear muffler will be similar to running a straight through exhaust system. I reckon you need to go down to the local (or choice) exhaust centre and get them to bend up some pipe to mount a straight through glass pack muffler - not a cannon as they're for ricers!

No muffler will allow exhaust gasses into the cab and will eventually lead to the cops nabbing you for noise pollution. Over here that means a fine and a noise test to make sure the new system fits australian standards of noise pollution/sound level.

I'm sure you've heard Ruby Scoo's note, this is her rear muffler:

This is a 2 and a quarter inch cat back system, I'm not sure if the rear muffler is a straight through but it sounds good and isn't booming/droning on the freeway...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 am

i use to run a 2.5inch strait thru with a small hotdog in the middle and a small cannon.

Sounded sweet.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:40 am

Ok. Thanks guys. Will get around to hooking the stock on back up for the time being. Hope I don't get pulled up on my way to work this morning. haha

Taza

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Here is a quick vid of the Foz with no muffler. Sounds like a real race car now. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRo2205aIZY

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 pm

a mate of mine did the same, it was way too loud and sounded "tinny"
ruined the subaru note, and got attention from the cops, best sticking with stock or sports mufflers/performance mufflers, but without a turbo, then your not gonna get too much more powerful,
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Im not looking for power, just the boxer note (louder than stock). I think with no muffler it actually sounds ok. I want it to sound abit deeper though and abit more rough.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:19 pm

go a genie turbo muffler they are normally found on crappadores or flounders it will give you a burble not a blortle :) and they can be found in wrecking yards on the formentioned cars, my brumby has one :) (as well I have the option to change to a stock muffler)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm

taza wrote:Im not looking for power, just the boxer note (louder than stock). I think with no muffler it actually sounds ok. I want it to sound abit deeper though and abit more rough.
I'm so glad I've been such a good influence on you!!! :???:

Get a proper muffler on it and you'll get a more refined note - mine sounds good until you put it beside some of the foz's I've met from ORS, their note is much smoother without the "rough edging" most likely due to the muffler being a better quality I think...

You'll love it more with a better muffler ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Exhausts”