EA81 exhaust buzz

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Do what I did all through uni - buy something useful or something you really need and go without something else to make ends meet. Save the same way for big items. Worked a treat and I'm still having a relatively good time at the moment. A job would help out a lot more but then again, I wouldn't have any time to do anything... I need sponsorship :p

Cheers

Bennie
That's what I'm trying to do, but before I can do that I'm trying to save up a kind of emergency buffer for if something goes really bad...trying being the operative word since this car keeps taking it all! :???:

2 inch from the Y pipe back has always been on the list, but I'm not sure if I'd get away with it being a P plater and all, cops on the road might consider it a performance mod? or they might just not like the noise, pull me over and see my missing wing mirror as well :o
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

GOD

Post by GOD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:31 pm

So what you need is a new exhaust without paying for it. A muffler is a muffler and pipe is pipe, if you're a half inventive lad they don't need to be the exact right parts for an MY wagon.

Go to your friendly local exhaust shop and ask for a quote on a fully sik new exhaust. On your way out ask if you can have a quick scavenge in their scrap bin. Or go there after dark and go scavenging without asking.

Tips, council depots, fire training grounds and hooning/dumping areas in the bush (at the edge of every town, guaranteed) are also good sources of free car parts.

Good luck with it.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:56 pm

GOD wrote:So what you need is a new exhaust without paying for it. A muffler is a muffler and pipe is pipe, if you're a half inventive lad they don't need to be the exact right parts for an MY wagon.

Go to your friendly local exhaust shop and ask for a quote on a fully sik new exhaust. On your way out ask if you can have a quick scavenge in their scrap bin. Or go there after dark and go scavenging without asking.

Tips, council depots, fire training grounds and hooning/dumping areas in the bush (at the edge of every town, guaranteed) are also good sources of free car parts.

Good luck with it.

Dane.
Haha speaking from experience? great idea though... :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

GOD

Post by GOD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:06 pm

nachaluva wrote:Haha speaking from experience? great idea though... :cool:
Bloody oath :cool:. I've used every place mentioned.

And there's actually one more that I forgot - empty lots in light industrial areas. Not so much for car parts, but scrap timber and steel.

Dane.

*Remember kids, stealing is bad. I'm only advocating recycling stuff that has been dumped.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 pm

gumtree is great as well, I see standard subaru impreza turbo exhaust systems all the time for around the hundred dollar mark. 99% of those systems are 2.25 inch and have been taken of in place of a 3 inch system. The steel is much better than the normal mild steel you get from exhaust shops as well.

A little bit of ingenuity, welding and cutting is all that is needed to get a 2inch + system on your wagon.

An example for 50 dollars in WA (sorry)

http://wa.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicle ... Z326234304

everything from the cat back (in this case a dump pipe as well)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 pm

GOD wrote:Tips, council depots, fire training grounds and hooning/dumping areas in the bush (at the edge of every town, guaranteed) are also good sources of free car parts.

Good luck with it.

Dane.
The replacement has to be in better condition than the one it's replacing :mrgreen: I'll ring around first, an MY rear exhaust section can't be that hard to find surely.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Silverbullet wrote:an MY rear exhaust section can't be that hard to find surely.
And the result/update is...?

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:00 am

The result/update is I'm slack and also was waiting for Christmas to be over. I'll get on it next week in the new year.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Silverbullet wrote:The result/update is I'm slack and also was waiting for Christmas to be over. I'll get on it next week in the new year.
Well, so much for that :roll: I am hopeless, so slack I couldn't even get a muffler that didn't annoy the crap out of me. Well since I'll be needing a whole new system for my car one day I decided not to spend money on a new one. And today I found out why it rattled so badly! Got around to removing the system today and was impressed at how much it had deteriorated inside. I want to cut it open now and have a look inside :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RwTd16Cx8w
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Bugger yer muffler - can I ask about yer dizzies effin' antics ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Haha, no updates on that yet. The engine is in Steve's capable hands but says he's been too busy to get to it yet.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Exhausts”