Hole in Exhaust

Bradenrm

Hole in Exhaust

Post by Bradenrm » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:08 am

Hey there all, I hope this finds you well...Merry Christmas!

Well my car (1997 Subaru Impreza Sportswagon, Ej20 5sp) has a hole in its exhaust just on the 2nd resonator...the larger diameter cylinder on the exhaust about mid-ship with the conical section on each side.
I've been quoted $300 I think for a new system, and I really don't want to spend it if I don't have too...

So my question is how easy is it to remove an exhaust system from the header back to weld it up? Any tips/hints how best to do it? I'm pretty handy with the old gasless mig or Arc welder. How do I test it?

Any tips for loosening bolts? Or is the time spent worth less than the $300? I don't need it every day, I'm still on my l's...19 and on my l's..lol, I want to do the drive test in my car but it has to be roadworthy.

Thanks guys;

Braden

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:17 am

You should be able to unbolt that section and take it out. Make sure you CRC or WD40 all the bolts the day before you do it.

Then you can blow more holes in it with your mig :) sorry mig it up.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:24 am

if its rusted out probably not going to be able to weld it

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:27 pm

its christmas!! stop talking cars and go enjoy the day!!

lol
davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:44 pm

D3V1L wrote:its christmas!! stop talking cars and go enjoy the day!!
Already done that, in wind-down mode now :D

Don't weld up the holes, put a plate over the holes and tack it in, then weld it in small sections to reduce the heat build up and thus blowing holes in the exhaust pipe.

To make sure it's sealed, replace on vehicle, start it up, and with a welding glove put your hand on the exhaust pipe and hold it there until it stalls - not easy to do but it can be done. Have a mate get under the car to check out if there are any leaks ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks heaps guys, you're all champs!

I'll be sure to check in when I've had time to do it :) I won a defensive driving course at Sandown on the 29th, and I'll be going with Dad in my car so it has to be done by then :)

I also bought one of those exhaust strap/putty kits, which I will go over the affected section with after welding. It should hold till I put a new system on it

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:09 pm

G'day Bradenrm :D

lol
davo
They are enjoying the day...talking Subarus lol :p
TOONGA wrote:You should be able to unbolt that section and take it out. Make sure you CRC or WD40 all the bolts the day before you do it.

Then you can blow more holes in it with your mig :) sorry mig it up.

TOONGA
Been there? :p
Bradenrm wrote:Thanks heaps guys, you're all champs!

I'll be sure to check in when I've had time to do it :) I won a defensive driving course at Sandown on the 29th, and I'll be going with Dad in my car so it has to be done by then :)

I also bought one of those exhaust strap/putty kits, which I will go over the affected section with after welding. It should hold till I put a new system on it
Awesome! Be sure to get the instructor to teach you proper hand-brake turn technique :roll:

Be sure to tell us all bout it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:17 pm

This comment has been playing on me - worked out why the other day... BECAUSE IT'S IRONIC!!!
nachaluva wrote:Awesome! Be sure to get the instructor to teach you proper hand-brake turn technique :roll:
And if you're ever doing it in an MY or L series, don't be trying hand brake turns - they don't work!! Bloody front wheel hand brakes!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:51 am

lol
davo
Then WTF were you doing on here?? lol
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 pm

El_Freddo wrote:This comment has been playing on me - worked out why the other day... BECAUSE IT'S IRONIC!!!

And if you're ever doing it in an MY or L series, don't be trying hand brake turns - they don't work!! Bloody front wheel hand brakes!

Cheers

Bennie
But then they would do awesome reverse 180 deg turns hehe :cool:

Kids don't try that at home! :shock:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm

nachaluva wrote:But then they would do awesome reverse 180 deg turns hehe :cool:
yeh, if you dont end up in a tree! at least on the gravel over here you just lose all steering and continue to plow straight ahead without wiping off any significant speed. :???:

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:08 pm

so you just go full lock with the steering and stop within less than a meter even on a wet road or a loose gravel road.:mrgreen:

don't try this on newer cars though, it doesn't work, and full lock isn't like it is
on the L series.:twisted: I suppose ABS is supposed to save us in the newer cars.:confused::???:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:39 pm

fredsub wrote:I suppose ABS is supposed to save us in the newer cars.:confused::???:
You supposed wrong - ABS is there to take control of the situation, meaning one less thing for a freaked out driver to worry about or control.

ABS is dangerous offroad in a lot of situations, you can literally loose your braking when you really need it, even at low speed - you just won't stop!

The more cars are packed with "safety system features" the more the driver thinks that the car will get them out of a potential accident - which to me means that it takes responsibility away from the driver's actions because a "safety feature" will correct it. WHY NOT just drive sensibly in the first place with some common sense!?

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Hehe hijack alert :mrgreen:

Bradenrm, how did you go with the exhaust?

How did the driving course go?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:47 am

El_Freddo wrote:You supposed wrong - ABS is there to take control of the situation, meaning one less thing for a freaked out driver to worry about or control.

Bennie
:p
I thought I was being ironic:mrgreen:

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:08 am

nachaluva wrote:Hehe hijack alert :mrgreen:

Bradenrm, how did you go with the exhaust?

How did the driving course go?
Hey mate, my bad-it's the 29th of January!
And the exhaust bolts are soaking now ;) I've got a hold of this pretty fantastic stuff, Chepark Rust Lubricant. I use it a lot at work and it does the job admirably ;)

Bradenrm

Update!

Post by Bradenrm » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:34 pm

So I soaked the bolts...no dice. They're nicely rusted in there :/ the nut started to strip (I used a nice ring spanner?) so I improvised. Off came the heat sheild (this is the section of the exhaust on the side of the flange on the engine side of the system, under the fuel tank in a GC series 1997 impreza sportswagon)

After I got that off I found the problem...it had copped a knock on the ground side of the tube, which was enough to pop the quite rusted seam of the tubing into 2 bits in one place. And it wasn't too flash for a fair length. So I unloaded 2 packets of exhaust putty and stuck some exhaust tape over the top...let it cure for a bit then took it our for a half our, just to get some heat into it and cure it (as directed). Seems to have worked well, although we all know it won't be for long. Time for an upgraded system I think! Headers and a 2.25 system hopefully not a cannon

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Try finding a 2nd hand exhaust from someone upgrading to a 3" system. If you look around you may be able to find a newish one on the cheap :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

nachaluva wrote:Try finding a 2nd hand exhaust from someone upgrading to a 3" system. If you look around you may be able to find a newish one on the cheap :mrgreen:
Do you know if a turbo cat-back system would bolt up to a set of standard headers?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I dont know but I would doubt it.

Perhaps someone else would know...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Exhausts”