liberty rx my 02 headers upgrade diy

danmc

liberty rx my 02 headers upgrade diy

Post by danmc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 am

bought some stainless headers., for my 02 liberty rx manual sedan
(2.25")
looking to install them myself, is there anything i should know before attempting this, any tricks or advice, and does anyone know roughly how long it could take to do this, and what's involved. thankyou

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 am

Alone it could be a bit tricky holding things, but it shouldnt be too bad. Shouldnt take longer that a couple of hours.

Only thing is to be careful not to round/strip the bolts because the old ones may be old and a bit corroded, and very very tight.

Also make sure its cold before you do it, me and Taza got impatient when we did his headers and made for an unpleasant job. :rolleyes:
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

dobo

Post by dobo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 am

Shouldnt be hard, it would help if you had the car up on stands or ramps. Take off the plastic splash gaurd under the engine (6 bolts under the car and 1 in each front guard) and you've got easy access to the 3 nuts on each head. Then undo the end of the header and bingo. They are heavy so having someone to help you hold it would be ideal.

It shouldnt take longer then an hour realistically. I've propably just jinxed you though :P

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Also a jack stand or two and a jack can help with holding things such as the rear section of the exhaust. The jack can come in handy to get things to the right height easily.

Make sure you disconnect the O2 sensor before you remove the Y pipe if it's located in this area.

The studs shouldn't be an issue with rust etc. There might be some baked on crap there but with a bit of WD-40 on there for 5min and a wire brush you should be fine. Worst case scenario is one of the studs will come out of the head rather than the nut coming off the stud. You can clean up the thread, WD-40 it while it's out, then replace the stud into the head with some lock tight so hopefully next time the nut will come off without an issue.

As for exhaust gaskets, I just re-coat them with some sensor safe high temp silicone - sounds like it'll burn off but it's magic stuff! Clean both surfaces with turps or petrol, allow to dry then apply the silicone in a thin layer across one face and then attach the exhaust to the head, you'll need to do both sides at once. I think I've ditched the gaskets now too, so I'm only running with the silicone :D

It should be a pretty simple process, especially if you know how to spin a spanner ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

danmc

Post by danmc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 pm

thanks guys, was beginning to think it would take me atleast a day or two! yeah, i heard that the bolts might be pretty tight if not seized probably from repeated heating cooling. can i take the headers out, without taking out the cats? or does most of the exhaust from the headers back have to come down with it? also, is there any 'special' tools that i might need for the job? or is it all just spanners and sockets haha

Return to “Exhausts”