EJ22 exhaust advice

El_Freddo
Master Member

EJ22 exhaust advice

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 pm

G'day all,

I've just scrawled though all the exhaust posts since new to try and find my answer, but no one's got what I'm after...

My mate has a Gen2 liberty, '96 model, and wants to upgrade his exhaust to something better but do it on a shoe string budget.

I was wondering what sort of mods would be needed to fit a WRX system to it - I'm thinking of finding some thing that is similar in the age of the vehicle but is being discarded due to them upgrading to a larger exhaust.

Basically the jist of it is that we're after better flow but still with a quiet exhaust. Anyone even know of a factory bolt on rear muffler that might be worth trying first off - his rear muffler's outlet is tiny, it's be about the same as the stock L series outlet!

If it's bolt on it's better for us.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:32 pm

not sure how relevant mate, but i have a 99 forest gt exhaust on my gen 1 liberty and it was almost a direct bolt except for having to have a spacer put in (which i'm yet to do, sounds not to bad cut off at the diff ;) ) but it looks like they didn't change the exhaust track to much between the years..
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Exactly what I was going to suggest, buy center & rear section off a WRX from somewhere like Rexnet and have it modified to fit, I did it with my 98 Lib sedan then threw it on my 91 Legacy wagon, you end up with a 2&1/4 SS system for less than $120ish
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 pm

d_generate wrote:buy center & rear section off a WRX from somewhere like Rexnet and have it modified to fit, I did it with my 98 Lib sedan then threw it on my 91 Legacy wagon, you end up with a 2&1/4 SS system for less than $120ish
I was hoping this was the go. Do you know which WRX's are the ones to get this from? Will the 2000-2007 setups work as well as the 94ish-99 systems?
woody.t wrote:i have a 99 forest gt exhaust on my gen 1 liberty and it was almost a direct bolt except for having to have a spacer put in (which i'm yet to do, sounds not to bad cut off at the diff ;) ) but it looks like they didn't change the exhaust track to much between the years..
Can you give me more details on where this spacer needs to go and how big it needs to be? And are you running without the rear muffler at the moment ("cut off at the diff")?

Sounds good :D

Cheers

Bennie

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:36 am

You'll need to reduce the diameter and extend it at the front join by about 4" due to the difference in chassis lengths, Pretty sure <00 will fit easier as the brackets are pretty much in the same place but early late WRX & Foz GT are almost all the same, might just need to mod the muffler hangers but center and one in front of the diff should be the same, back it up some ramps and it only takes 5 min to hang it under there and see what needs to be modded.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:21 am

Only difference between gc8 and gd* wrx is the rear hanger. But you will prob be changing that anyway

dirty twister

Post by dirty twister » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Is it ok to run without the rear muff fellas? When I was fitting my sti rear muff I struck her up to see what it sounded like! Sounded the the dogs swingers! Spose you'd end up getting a tug from the law

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:58 pm

d_generate wrote:You'll need to reduce the diameter and extend it at the front join by about 4" due to the difference in chassis lengths, Pretty sure <00 will fit easier as the brackets are pretty much in the same place but early late WRX & Foz GT are almost all the same, might just need to mod the muffler hangers but center and one in front of the diff should be the same, back it up some ramps and it only takes 5 min to hang it under there and see what needs to be modded.
Reduce the diametre? I thought it'd be the other way around!

Sounds like it'd make for a good bit of fun with a hoist and a mig with some spare pipe parts :twisted:

I'll keep you posted as to what happens, it could be a while off as this is just researching the idea - I'm not the one spending the coin :rolleyes:

Dirty Twister - if you're going to run without the rear muffler, I'd be getting a pipe made up that still pokes out behind the vehicle so that exhaust gases can't be recirculated into the cab ;) And as for the "muff" discussion in your other thread - there's a member on here (no names dropped) who used to be known as "4muff" - a WRX driver with this exact custom number plate :twisted: It took him a few goes to get it through the rego authority from what I remember reading!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Exhausts”