EA exhaust to head sealing

Cliff R
General Member

EA exhaust to head sealing

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:06 am

I dont seem to have much luck in sealing where the exhaust attaches onto the heads of either the EA81 or 82.
Too much tension strips or pulls either of the 2 studs out and not enough tension ends up with a leak.
I wanted to avoid applying any "goop" to seal it which only leave more to get back off later so was wondering of anyone has had any luck with using 2 compressible seals on each head instead of one to allow for easier take up options of any alignment between the heads and the exhaust flanges.
I only use the compressible gaskets from Subaru and always clean off the heads and the exhaust flanges so this is not an issue.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 am

you can use 2 gaskets but this will lead to failure later on when one of the gaskets fails later on. a light coating of muffler putty or RTV silicon on the gaskets makes for a great seal and will clean off with a minimum of work.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:37 pm

sounds like you need helicoil kit for starters, a torque wrench, a torque value and as far as goop or gunk plain old clear or any colour you like silicone - and tell the treasurer a free flowing exhaust will help alleviate problem next time. And genuione gaskets if ya must

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 am

steptoe wrote:sounds like you need helicoil kit for starters, a torque wrench, a torque value and as far as goop or gunk plain old clear or any colour you like silicone - and tell the treasurer a free flowing exhaust will help alleviate problem next time. And genuione gaskets if ya must
Forget the helicoil. Dad found a better solution - so long as there's enough meat around the stud/bolt hole otherwise it's a helicoil. They're made by Champion and are a thread replacement kit for all types of threads. Much stronger than a helicoil too which is the advantage of this item.

I'd use a bit of high temp silicone to seal the exhaust - just don't drive it straight away, if possible let it sit overnight. Moving the car from the shed to the yard is fine, just don't go for a drive down the street ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I have ended up with a Helicoil in the MY with EA81 on one bolt and that was doing the nut up to torque with a tension wrench. Would rather not go down that path again.

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:59 pm

El Freddo, great find by your dad. you can find them on Ebay. U.K have the best range, i've ordered some. If anyone is interested look under Thread repair kit. Sizes to suit every job.

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 pm

i too have had the problem, i still can't get it to seal! and i have helli coiled all 4 holes and put in new studs.. can still smell it with one window down. but i have found muffler cement is the best it expands and sets under heat.. and this is a 2 inch sports system.. l series 91
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

Return to “Exhausts”