Heat wrapping a Cat

nncoolg

Heat wrapping a Cat

Post by nncoolg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm in the process of making a new downipipe for my EA82T and figured I'd do the right thing and put a cat in it.

Question is : has anyone heat-wrapped a Cat before?

I always wrap my headers and downpipes with header wrap and it works great on pipes.
The factory Subaru Cat is packed with fibreglass inside its little casing so my thinking is that it will be fine to wrap an aftermarket cat...

I've googled and come up with a lot of what the ol' internet does best - speculation, so I thought someone over the years may have done it, I'm not a smart guy, but common sense says it will work OK...
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:55 pm

I just got the strangest mental image as I read the topic title... and thought that the RSPCA may get involved

Now as for wrapping your catalytic converter, I dont see an issue as people wrap their up pipes and turbos and they glow hot.

Just dont do as a mate if mine with a VW beetle did and wrap the exhaust with hessian cloth
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Gannon wrote:Just dont do as a mate if mine with a VW beetle did and wrap the exhaust with hessian cloth
Wait, what...I cant use the masonite I just cut out for heatshields?

I think I've sorted it out anyway, the cat already has a half round heatshield welded on it, I'm going to cut another piece of half round and weld onto it, making it a full surrounding heat shield, then I'll wrap over the shield, and the cat will have about a 8mm air gap to breathe in between.

Should be the best of both worlds.
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Return to “Exhausts”