wood stove

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
fredsub

wood stove

Post by fredsub » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:39 am

Made this wood stove cut from a Milo tin.
It really works great, minimum of fuss, uses just a little of dry twigs and leaves to boil up a billy. AND nearly no smoke, a little when first starting it, but once its hot, it really burns well inside.

At the bottom, the cutouts are actually tabbed inwards to allow a grate to sit on top, its a bit of that square chicken wire.
Air gets drawn in at the bottom.
Its easy to light even in a slight breeze, arranging a windbreak isn't too hard either.

I've used it a few times now, and only once did I spot a floating ember that went for maybe 1m, I reckon one could use this safely even in a fire ban, although this year there been no mention of fire ban yet, and ah summer has just started - or it supposed to have:???: 1 -Dec

Best of all this package is so light, i'm no longer going to bother taking a lpg bottle for trips I think, this thing is so much better. Fuel is safer, just carry a small bag of twigs leaves ready made for the stove.

More info
http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.h ... ningStoves

stinky

Post by stinky » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:44 am

nice work, you could probably use a couple of heatbeads instead of twigs n crap as well, I've done that in a can before.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am

you have sparked my interest there. I was considering buying a lightweight gas stove, but will give one of these a go first!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Hehehe... my bros, mates and I used to make these out of dog tin cans. The best thing about these is that when they rust out you can easily make another one with out spending a fortune ;)

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

vincentvega wrote:you have sparked my interest there. I was considering buying a lightweight gas stove, but will give one of these a go first!

jetboil !!!!!
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Return to “Camping and Travel”