Murray Easter weekend activities:

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Murray Easter weekend activities:

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 pm

G'day all,

Thought I'd give this part of the forum a go since it is the camping and travel topic section ;)

My easter weekend started off with a 4wd reckie for the upcoming trip this weekend in the Lerderderg/Wombat state forest area. I had a good time, got a little confused but now know where I want to take people which is always a good thing.

I visited O'brien's Crossing, a popular area of the Lerderderg River - people were camped there but no water was to be seen anywhere! I then headed out to Barry's Reef to checkout an old camp I've always wanted to stay at - found it, got out of the forest just before shredding a cam belt. The tensioner pulley on the passenger's side siezed up and created a huge mess of my once cam belt. You can read about that here.

I got the cambelt sorted at 2pm, got to bendigo by 5pm, found out that benders was out of easter eggs and was then off to the Gunbower forest at about 6:30ish.

We arrived there after dark, cruised around looking for a camp site - there were heaps of people up there that had set up another part of suburbia on the side of the river, nothing like the hum of a generator all night...

We ended up finding a place in the dark, pretty happy with it so we set up the campervan and called it a night.

The next morning we moved the van to a better position and started setting up camp. We then went Canoeing upstream.

Here's some pics:

Camp setup:

It's small but comfortable, and that camper has so much stuff packed in it for any camp setup/weather condition or duration of camp...

The "View":

And yes, the murray is very green at the moment - A local told us there's been blue-green alge outbreaks along sections of the river. We didn't see any alge, or drink the water, or go swimming. We did shower in boiled water though...

We seemed to be on hoon striaght - a reference to the road near our camp where a lot of people were thrashing pocket bikes back and forth usually without very much protective clothing or even a T shirt. There was one idiot in a V8 commodore that only did "snakies" up and down the road, that was good for the dust conditions.

Sunnie and Gail arrived sunday night, so Ruby Scoo had someone to hang out with:

The best time I had was monday arvo when "the hoons" left and it became very peaceful, so much that my ears were ringing. It was bliss.

I did some EJ wiring while listening to some aussie music then we went fishing, I caught a big one:

This was the second fish I got, the first a little bigger but not by much. We then packed up and had a countermeal at the bower, a local pub at Cohuna. Massive meals there. We headed home, here's Ruby Scoo all loaded up:

On the way up Ruby Scoo used 20L to the 100km!!! To maintain 100km/h the go faster pedal was flat to the floor, only on a down hill section could I get over 100.

Over all we had a good time with monday being the best day of the whole trip - I felt very rested and was disappointed to be leaving.

And here's a picture of Ruby Scoo living it up. Poser!

We'll be back up there sometime soon, possibly doing a bit of a canoe trip involved with out next outting.

Hope everyone had a good and safe easter weekend. Feel free to post up your weekend's activites below.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Camping and Travel”