Wagon Body Trailer

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
Punisher

Wagon Body Trailer

Post by Punisher » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Im thinking about building an 'L series wagon' body based trailer.
Has anybody done or seen such a conversion ?
I would either cut a wagon body through in front of the rear doors and fill in the opening with sheet metal or weld 2 rear sections together so it has 2 tailgate openings.

Punisher

Trailer pic

Post by Punisher » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Or option 'c' could be option 'A or B' minus roof ...

tex

Post by tex » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm

What are you going to be using it for if its for camping or painting etc why not cut just behind the windscreen and at a and join the two together! apparently its very hard to join the larger panels ie roof and make it look good!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Yea, mainly for camping, possibly with a roof top tent.
Also would like to put a couple of runners on the draw bar to carry mini bikes.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 pm

I've seen a photo of one done with two tailgates like that. Trying to dig up the pic at the moment but not having much luck.

I have partially done this. I got as far as cutting my old wagon in half, it looks like your B picture at the moment, although with no drawbar yet.

I'm torn as to what to actually use it for. I'm thinking camper too....but seriously....for 2 people it's going to be abit cramped in there. It's too narrow, and the wheel arches really don't help matters either. Length should be okay, and I was thinking to aid with height the roof could be raised abit.

One thing to remember is weight. Even without anything in it the bugger is surprisingly heavy!

I've just been given my dad's old 6x4 trailer so I'm probably going to cut all the box off it and put the A frame and main girders underneath the L body and see how it sits. Probably will just keep the leaf springs and axel from the trailer. I don't rekon welding the A frame by itself to the L body and keeping the L series K frame will be strong enough, it really needs regidity through it.

It's a fun thing to do I rekon....
But yeah, camper still seems the best use I think. Plenty of room for a huge water tank (like 50litres) and a handy filling hole behind a familar flap.

The lights are already done, already wired.

Mine was a touring wagon so I could even make the electric windows work :)

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 pm

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:13 pm

I've seen a trailer with two tailgate doors like what AndrewT said, It had 4 side doors plus two tailgate door, he had mattresses in the trailer and a stove top at the back, I thought it was awesome. But it wasnt subaru.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am

mmmm ... you could be right about the weight thing. last thing you wanna do is be carrying more weight than you have to.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Regarding weight. I noticed with mine (just like your pic B), it was basically perfectly balanced on the wheels. So once it has the front part enclosed somehow, and an A-frame it's going to be front heavy, which works out well, you need abit of weight on the towball. But, I think installing a second tailgate at the front will likely make it TOO front heavy. Have you picked up a rear tailgate lately? They aren't exactly light weight.

Oh also, mine currently has no rear doors on it either.

Just in playing around with it as-is, jacking it up etc, the whole thing does still seem bloody heavy.

One day I'll actually get time to cut up my 6x4 trailer and try to get this happening.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 pm

AndrewT wrote:Regarding weight. I noticed with mine (just like your pic B), it was basically perfectly balanced on the wheels. So once it has the front part enclosed somehow, and an A-frame it's going to be front heavy, which works out well, you need abit of weight on the towball. But, I think installing a second tailgate at the front will likely make it TOO front heavy. Have you picked up a rear tailgate lately? They aren't exactly light weight.

Oh also, mine currently has no rear doors on it either.

Just in playing around with it as-is, jacking it up etc, the whole thing does still seem bloody heavy.

One day I'll actually get time to cut up my 6x4 trailer and try to get this happening.

Or, it doesnt have to be subaru tailgate, go to wreckers and find one that is light enough for the task?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:53 pm

or perhaps cut the guts out so it only has the outer skin and just put some lightweight braces in. It's only a trailer now so I wouldn't expect that would matter too much.

Return to “Camping and Travel”