Trip Report: Robe Sand 4wd trip 21JAN-24JAN11

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Trip Report: Robe Sand 4wd trip 21JAN-24JAN11

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:23 pm

Here's the account of our much anticipated weekend of sand 4wd'n - only about 8 or so months in the making!

In attendance was:

Pezimm in his dark lifted foz
Phizinza in his green outback, basically stock other than the rear cargo sleeping/storage area
Bboypebs in his beige 2 inch lifted, 29 inch tyre wielding brumby with webber
Roger in his 'cruiser - no idea which series as I still don't understand the whole landcruiser series thing. Either way he's done a great job on this offroader
and myself in Ruby Scoo with our new engel that was on its maiden voyage - passed with FLYING colours :mrgreen:
We also picked up some tourists in one of those decked out troopies with the pop top camper - very nice. New D4D V8 diesel too, went like the clappers!
Sagey and his "missus" tash were in attendance too, they were warming a seat each in roger's ride initially before moving around a bit in the convoy from time to time.

Friday:
Pezimm and I met up in Baccus Marsh a little later than planned. I'd traveled from bendigo that morning and lakes entrance the night before! We cruised through many of the small towns that were effected by the recent floods, the height of the water in some of these areas was mind boggling! We wish them well in their cleaning/rebuilding.

We stopped off in one of the last victorian towns - Casterton - before we hit the boarder and filled up in Mt Gambier. Here's a pick of the subi's at lunch - compare the cargo carried (I had some stuff for oz day too, should've left that in benders!):

Phiz and Roger made their way to Robe without any issues from what I can remember. They found a suitable campsite in the dunes at stony rise. Before Pezimm and I headed out there we grabbed a large pizza (which was cut into 16 pieces using a sqaure/diamond grid instead of the traditional pizza slice - go figure!) - we spied this new cruiser wagon, caption reads "got lift?!":

^ That's a stock shorty patrol behind it!

The night was a good catch up from the 2009 queens birthday weekend trip. We also "fixed" two of my CV boots - one rear one died due to age the other on the front was JUST replaced and tore through the centre of the boot - I'm thinking I didn't place the shaft side of the boot in the right spot before tightening it all up, probably tore it as I drove down the main street of Lakes :(

Here's our super technical fix:

^ a couple of shopping bags wrapped around after repacking with some grease, held in place by some cable ties. Worked a treat on the rear, the front suffered from suspected heat from the cat converter and only seamed to be in some trouble once I got back to bendigo. Its still on the subi now...

With that sorted and some crude jokes going around we settled in for the night camping in swags or under tarps, except for Phiz and Roger who had some pretty awesome sleeping/storage setups in the back of their offroaders!

Saturday we got going relatively early then was kind of held up before we headed off to the beach where we ended up waiting for Bboypebs who was travelling down from the Keith area - he had some driveshaft issues, seemed to be a common theme for the start of this trip! While we waited we got some pics and played around in the sand:

The early convoy crew before bboypebs arrived:

Phiz and his worst pick for a place to stop... Gave the "max tracks" a go, they worked ok with a help from a push but we really needed to have 2 sets for the front and the rear:

Once Bboypebs arrived after some miss direction (my miss-interpretation of the beach name) we were all together and moved off headed in a southerly direction towards beachport.

On a high point above the beach waiting to re-group so that all could enjoy the view:

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Here's the view we enjoyed from our vantage point from the previous pic, breath taking:

On this beach we found some new companions that were a little stuck in their trooper camper. We helped out Manu and Rolf with their situation and offered them to join us on the rest of our trip if it fitted with their plans:

They joined our convoy and moved along well with us. Good times had with the radio chatter after giving them a crash course on how to use the 2 ways.

We did some more 4wd'n without incident before we stopped for lunch - once we'd found a suitable location:

The aim was to head to beachport - well that's what we decided after playing around in several areas. Our biggest issue was where we would be camped for the night - caravan park or beach/dune campsite...

On we continued, but for once actually stopped for a group photo, mainly because Manu and Rolf insisted on one for their Australian trip:

After the group pic we were off to Errings beach where I left the well worn ruts only to get bogged down right near the water. This beach was very soft. We managed to get Ruby Scoo out without the need for a snatch which probably would have ended in two vehicles stuck.

Many videos were recorded - I think I've actually got more footage than photos for once (don't know if this is a good thing).

On the Southern side of Norea Correna there is more dune track work rather than beach work, it can become a little boring at times but is still quite relaxing none the less. Here's a pic of Pezimm's foz and Phiz's Outback on one of the tracks - a quick snap out of the driver's window while on the move:

In one of the dune areas where there are "drift dunes" we got another group photo with the vehicles this time:

Later in the day while pushing time trying to find a suitable campsite we came across a rather "large" drift dune on the track - the top of the track disappeared under the drift of the dune with one of those cornice like edges at the top of it. I had a couple of cracks at it trying not to bottom out the rear tyres on the guard's edge, I ended up not making it and rolling the folded edge out to create a knife like edge that was ready to shred a tyre. Some BFH work sorted that out after I'd tried another line that wasn't the best idea of the day. This is how it ended up, right on the edge of a gully that the dune was filling in:

After everyone showing me how to do it I had to just go for it and got it on challenge two of the second round. A few cheers were given before we headed off to our campsite.

We ended up camping in one of the larger campsites on the edge of Lake George. From here we split up for a little bit, some went to town, the rest of us went to watch the sun go down:

The location selected with the beach track in the right of the pic:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:28 pm

And the sunset enjoyed with our new friends that we introduced to timtams :twisted: Guess what they purchased first on their next supermarket visit...

Once again, many good times around the dinner table before it was time for shut eye.

Sunday we didn't really have a game plan but decided to head back to robe and muck around in the dunes on the way through. We stopped for a very refreshing swim before we hit the first good area to play in the dunes:

Once in the dunes again we had a good session in an area that was like a large sand bowl where we had some sand drags up a dune. Not meaning to brag, but after almost making contact with Russel's cruiser I pipped him at the end of that race to win. The next one saw a couple of poor starts with a couple of good runners at the end. Again Ruby Scoo came out well to out do Russel's cruiser only to then meet some subi competition from Phiz. Unfortunately it wasn't Phiz that won :twisted: Ruby may have hit the rev limiter a couple of times up the dune - no time to change gear!

We continued on with a beach track rather than head down the dune that I got stuck on near that gully the day before. This is the view from where we were before the decent to the beach:

From here we kind of moved quickly between me getting bogged on beaches while scouting them out for the convoy - not good since the tide seemed to be coming in leaving us with the softest sand on the beach. We stuck to the tracks after round three of that game...

At Norea Carrena we headed back to robe via the main dirt road, re-grouped on the main beach that was busier than a shopping centre carpark! We decided on our game plan for the night - camping out at the gums after some shopping. Once camp area was established Bboypebs and myself headed out to do a loop via Stony Rise track and one of the beaches that is easily accessed from the gums' track. Sagey and tash came for the ride with me and Pezimm rode with bboypebs in the brumby - a little rougher than the foz I'd reckon!
Sagey had a drive of Ruby Scoo to try out an EJ'd L series, I think he might have some new plans now :twisted: Tash then had a go as well after some arm twisting:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 pm

We decided we would have a movie night on our last night. Macca (my laptop) ended up being the viewing platform of choice after much bagging out - only to have the DVD crap out half way through the movie. We also had some rain so we setup some tarps that the majority of us ended up sleeping under for the night where we really appreciated our tarp building skills during a downpour!

Here's the setup:

The next morning Pezimm and I did the same loop from the night before but headed into Robe to air up before saying good bye to everyone and heading home. We headed through Naracoorte, Horsham and split up at B'rat when I had to head to cobaw and Pezimm to Melbs.

A great time had by all! Thanks for those who made the trip, without you it would have been rather boring, I doubt I would have been out there on my own at all. For those that didn't make it, I'm sure we'll be organising another trip sometime in the future, for now you can live vicariously through us and our trip report ;)

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 am

AAAAAAWWWWWWEEEEESSSOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Stunning location and some great photos. So who did the most amount of circles in the sand? I have a feeling if I'd been there it would of been hard to keep me in a straight line!

Great trip report as usually Bennie, makes me want to get out there even more!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:01 pm

It was an awesome trip indeed!!

Speaking for myself, I had an absolute blast! The small little changes to the car (the 1in lift and AT tyres) made a world of difference, I had no problems tackling anything that we found along the way.

A big shout out to the SA guys for their hospitality and another big-big shout out to Bennie for taking the time to organise this. It was really great!

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Kicking myself that I missed this. You guys look like you've had an incredible time.
Lack of preparation on my part is partly to blame, coupled with some recent events going on in my area.

I did however make it to SA last thursday/friday- Drove the Brumby to Adelaide for a job interview and back in a day and a half. I was knackered!

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Alright, pulled my finger out and created a Youtube account. Let's see how I go with my first video upload attempt:

This is me trying to get up the troublesome big dune by the gully. First attempt, no success.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70YvIrr4S8

But on the second go, success! It was a matter of holding throtle all the way up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEozEOPCKY
*Both videos credits go to El_Freddo!!

Enjoy!
Pedro.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Hazey wrote:Kicking myself that I missed this.
Don't worry mate - you had other important things to attend to. I'm sure there will be another one. If I don't organise it I'm sure Pezimm can sort out the Vic side of things.

That said, I reckon a little or big desert trip could be worth it too. Robe's just a beautiful area near the beach that you can 4wd on :twisted: 90 mile beach would be a good one if Victoria wasn't a nanny state!

Cheers

Bennie

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 pm

pezimm wrote:Alright, pulled my finger out and created a Youtube account. Let's see how I go with my first video upload attempt:

This is me trying to get up the troublesome big dune by the gully. First attempt, no success.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70YvIrr4S8

But on the second go, success! It was a matter of holding throtle all the way up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEozEOPCKY
*Both videos credits go to El_Freddo!!

Enjoy!
Pedro.
Great video i thought you where going to go airborne on the second one :D
Looks like a great place tho

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Nice trip report as always Bennie.

Ruby Scoo had some cosmetic work done on her grill?

Looks like the weather was good and there was lots of fun driving. Some very nice pics of a very nice location, wish I was there.

I noticed the fishing rod on your car was there any fishing to be had?

Pezimm love the way you car is sitting at the moment with your lift, I bet you had fun on the sand with that turbo.

Landcruiser, no comment, just kidding they always make subies look good :D

Nice looking brumby with the weber how did that go in the sand? and what sort of rims is it running?

Phizinza the outback is looking good but would look better with a lift. :D

Looks like fun hope there is another trip to come and I can join this time.

Like the idea of the little desert trip too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 13, 2011 11:59 am

subaruby wrote:Ruby Scoo had some cosmetic work done on her grill?

I noticed the fishing rod on your car was there any fishing to be had?

Nice looking brumby with the weber how did that go in the sand? and what sort of rims is it running?
Sorry for the super late reply Subaruby :(

Ruby Scoo has a new grill as I wanted to tidy her up and its also a roadworthy thing - easy for a cop to pick on, you know, besides the tyres and all :rolleyes:

Yes there was loads of fishing to be had, but I didn't get a line wet :( It was my intention to get some fishing in but I was too busy 4wd'n!

That's Bboypebs' brumby (1 of), it went really well in the sand until it lost reverse - that just made things interesting. The rims I think were from a ford courier, 29 inch tyres and some guard cutting!

And finally, here's the film of the trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpuSM73UH2g

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 pm

El_Freddo wrote: And finally, here's the film of the trip:

Cheers

Bennie
Barbra Streisand, as promissed!!

:p
Pedro.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

i must ask. what sort of tires are been run on the forester and the outback?

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:34 pm

thunder039 wrote:i must ask. what sort of tires are been run on the forester and the outback?
Foz is running Yokos AT/S on OEM 17in wheels... 215/60R17

Like them very much!

Outback from memory was on normal road tyres...

Cheers,
Pedro.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:49 pm

thanks for that. im running normal road tires on my forester now but just dont seem to cut the mustard

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm

pezimm wrote:Foz is running Yokos AT/S on OEM 17in wheels... 215/60R17

Like them very much!

Outback from memory was on normal road tyres...

Cheers,
Pedro.
" Yokos AT/S" - is that Geolanders?
How do you find em?

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:27 pm

nachaluva wrote:" Yokos AT/S" - is that Geolanders?
How do you find em?
Yes! Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S...

More info here

Pedro.

Return to “Camping and Travel”