roof top camper

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
thunder039

roof top camper

Post by thunder039 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 pm

hi guys, was looking into getting a roof top tent for my gen1 forester. look like a good way to free up boot space for touring and camping.
has anyone had any experience with theses and mounting on the forester?
such as roof rack suggestions or anything along those lines
thanks!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 pm

G'day Thunder!

My wife and I have just done the same thing, but to Ruby Scoo. We took it out for it's first spin last october and now I've got a list of things to look at and replace/add/make better than what's already there.

The biggest thing I can tell you is to carefully measure out the size you want, or take down the measurements of the one you're after, then compare that to the roof space of your foz. We got lucky with our ebay purchase - in the sense that it didn't look top heavy due to the camper being too big!

Also look at the dry weight of the camper, add bedding weight and from this you should be able to work out what you need in terms of roof racks to handle the weight when you're moving. We've got three roof racks to hold the camper on, I wanted four (got it but didn't use it last time) but I didn't realise that my mate mounted the 4th one incorrectly so my brother and I removed it as it was lower than the rest of them. The three did fine.
Our roof top camper with our bedding etc is about 55kg. Add a ladder and some electricals (ours are to come later) such as a reading light/power socket for the phone charger etc and you'll be adding to the weight.

This is what Ruby Scoo looked like with the camper and all our gear in the back - packed for a wedding, a week out bush and a week up in the snow area:

Setup:

Fuel consumption increased by a litre or two per hundred k, but I was fine with that as I was expecting more than that!

The camper you see is a cheap chinese unit, we got it second hand, it goes well, could be a foot longer so I can stretch out properly (arms down), it needs a vent up the top and I need to re-seal the hard top bit... Still love it though and can't wait to go touring again!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Sorry for the thread steal, but i was wondering what people do sleep wise for their brumby's?
I have always thought of using the tray, but i am thinking of using this more for storage on long trips, i have a tent. I have thought of using an old Brumby Shell, and turning it into a trailer. IDK. Do I even need the space in the tray for equipment?

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Sorry for the thread steal, but i was wondering what people do sleep wise for their brumby's?
I have always thought of using the tray, but i am thinking of using this more for storage on long trips, i have a tent. I have thought of using an old Brumby Shell, and turning it into a trailer. IDK. Do I even need the space in the tray for equipment?
Cam, maybe you could make a solid lid for the brumby, mount a roof top camper on that and have one huge draw platform to pull out when the tail gate's down to access all your equipment when you need to...

The hardest part of this I reckon would be a) finding a set of rail sliders long enough to do the job with enough of a load rating to handle the weight (fit fold down legs to the end to support when out) and b) how to secure this setup to the tray without drilling new holes if you want to keep the tray original.

The trailer idea would probably be heavy to start with - that's half of your car right there! Plus it would be cheaper and more efficient in weight to produce a new trailer - also check out the pod trailer, sound stupid but there's a camper option with that one too!

Cheers

Bennie

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:33 pm

El_Freddo wrote:G'day Thunder!

My wife and I have just done the same thing, but to Ruby Scoo. We took it out for it's first spin last october and now I've got a list of things to look at and replace/add/make better than what's already there.

The biggest thing I can tell you is to carefully measure out the size you want, or take down the measurements of the one you're after, then compare that to the roof space of your foz. We got lucky with our ebay purchase - in the sense that it didn't look top heavy due to the camper being too big!

Also look at the dry weight of the camper, add bedding weight and from this you should be able to work out what you need in terms of roof racks to handle the weight when you're moving. We've got three roof racks to hold the camper on, I wanted four (got it but didn't use it last time) but I didn't realise that my mate mounted the 4th one incorrectly so my brother and I removed it as it was lower than the rest of them. The three did fine.
Our roof top camper with our bedding etc is about 55kg. Add a ladder and some electricals (ours are to come later) such as a reading light/power socket for the phone charger etc and you'll be adding to the weight.

This is what Ruby Scoo looked like with the camper and all our gear in the back - packed for a wedding, a week out bush and a week up in the snow area:

Setup:

Fuel consumption increased by a litre or two per hundred k, but I was fine with that as I was expecting more than that!

The camper you see is a cheap chinese unit, we got it second hand, it goes well, could be a foot longer so I can stretch out properly (arms down), it needs a vent up the top and I need to re-seal the hard top bit... Still love it though and can't wait to go touring again!

Cheers

Bennie
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330640050734 ... 1438.l2649
i was looking at one of these as my mate just put one on his hilux. he only runs 2 roof racks with his. due to the size of it it needs to be mounted as shown by he main pic. we can do this by installing roof racks adding $300 to the price or drilling and filling out 4 slits in the current stock roof rails as the mounting plates are thin.
would drilling and filling out 4 little sections of the roof rail be ok? or do u think the stock roof rails are to weak?

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:34 pm

the link the tent in the link are left over new army stock from south africa so are top quality!

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Nice thanks Bennie, Yeah a bit like what Greg had Maybe.
Hahaha, Nice little pod trailer there.
I was going to do this, but it would cut down on length.

So i am now thinking this

They would have a soft foam top covered with something to protect it from the weather that you could use as seats when staionery. this way i can sleep, and have my stuff. (Im hoping)
Thoughts?
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Cam I don't fully understand what you were going to do with the seating near the cab... I do see the logic in the storage area out to the wheel guards, I'm planning to do the same on Ruby Scoo when I finally get around to building my cargo area camping setup...

Thunder, those camping tops seem pretty good, and a slightly better price than we paid. The reason we went with the clam shell opening design was for the 5 second setup when you pull up at camp or pull over late at night. And it's super easy to pack up too.

Either way a roof top camper is a roof top camper and like all campers it has it's pro's and con's. Pro would be you're sleeping up off the ground and away from ground dwelling animals that might decide to drop in if you were on the ground.
Con is the extra weight up the top when it comes to max angle you can reach before she decides to tip over... I was surprised how far Ruby Scoo went over in Robe without it feeling like she was going to end up on her side :D

Cheers

Bennie

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Im not planning to use the first Pic, Rather the second (well thinking)(defanatly not the first) The idea was that on top of the storage area it would be padded to sit on.
Do you think that i would have enough room with these?
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 pm

El freddo. do you think the filling out for the mounting brackets would be ok? or do you think they would be to weak?

alang

Post by alang » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Don't know about on top but i did make a trailer to tow behind the bike with a fold out oztrail camper on top of it about 400kg all up sit on 110 kph all day with it on the back five minutes to set up.

Ready to tow.

Set up for sleeping

you could make a light weight trailer to tow and if you get the same wheel spacing as whats on your Subie easy to tow on the beach in the same wheel tracks

Alan

alang

Post by alang » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Sorry for the thread steal, but i was wondering what people do sleep wise for their brumby's?

Cheers Cam
one of our 4x4 twin cabs had a Joey Bed in the back pull a handle and it rolled out and locked in the out position have a look at this site.

http://www.norden.com.au/index.php?sect ... ageID=3933

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:44 pm

thunder039 wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330640050734 ... 1438.l2649
i was looking at one of these as my mate just put one on his hilux. he only runs 2 roof racks with his. due to the size of it it needs to be mounted as shown by he main pic. we can do this by installing roof racks adding $300 to the price or drilling and filling out 4 slits in the current stock roof rails as the mounting plates are thin.
would drilling and filling out 4 little sections of the roof rail be ok? or do u think the stock roof rails are to weak?
Looks good. Only thing i didnt like was if you got the awning the ladder is in the way of the door for entry/exit. & with the door closed would be a little awkward climbing up the ladder. But the rooftop camper itself looks great!

Or you can do this:

(Venom moving his swag tied it down on the roof as he didnt want to get it wet rolling it up...made for a funny photo haha :mrgreen:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey El freddo, absolutely love the pics mate. Im keen as mustard to get myself one of those rooftop 'swags' Is it a Easy sleep pod brand? Im planning to get a 6x4 and mount it on top but raised so you can still utilise the space underneath.. pipe dreams ofcoarse, too many $$$ for my apprentice wages. i cant wait to go touring soon too (15 days to go). Perth to gold coast via sydney and back home through where ever :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 am

nachaluva wrote:Looks good. Only thing i didnt like was if you got the awning the ladder is in the way of the door for entry/exit. & with the door closed would be a little awkward climbing up the ladder. But the rooftop camper itself looks great!

Or you can do this:

(Venom moving his swag tied it down on the roof as he didnt want to get it wet rolling it up...made for a funny photo haha :mrgreen:)
it does look that way in the picture, but in practice it is not the case. both awnings do not have to be set up to make for a quick set up

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:48 am

thunder039 wrote:El freddo. do you think the filling out for the mounting brackets would be ok? or do you think they would be to weak?
Can you explain what you mean exactly? Are you making the roof racks higher by filling them out or are you making them wider?

You can make a set of custom roof racks so long as they're solid, well constructed and attach well to your roof or where ever it is that you want your camper mounted.
Wagonman wrote:Hey El freddo, absolutely love the pics mate. Im keen as mustard to get myself one of those rooftop 'swags' Is it a Easy sleep pod brand? Im planning to get a 6x4 and mount it on top but raised so you can still utilise the space underneath.. pipe dreams ofcoarse, too many $$$ for my apprentice wages. i cant wait to go touring soon too (15 days to go). Perth to gold coast via sydney and back home through where ever :D
Sounds like you'll be having some fun! I loved the Nullabour drive, can't wait to do it again and do it slower this time around.

As for our camper, it's just a no-name build. There are aspects that I want to change such as adding a rail down each side of the camper under it to help support it on the roof racks when we're in it. It's secured enough to drive and 4wd.

The advantage of the roof top camper is that you can mount it on a 6x4 or some other trailer, with your camping kit in the trailer you're free to use the vehicle without having to pack up the camper etc. And then when you want to use the trailer you can remove all the camping gear and the camper. Then to add to all of that you can still use the camper on the roof if you want to - it's versatile for many different setups and this is what I like with my gear ;)
Brumby Kid wrote:Image

They would have a soft foam top covered with something to protect it from the weather that you could use as seats when staionery. this way i can sleep, and have my stuff. (Im hoping)
Thoughts?
Probably have a go at sleeping/camping in the back of the brumby to get an idea of what you're looking for with your setup. One or two people, that would be a big question to ask if you're looking at sharing with mates or if you've got that special someone to come along with you.

Generally you'd try and pack the heavy gear lowest to keep the centre of gravity low, it also makes it easier to pack as you're not lifting heavy gear high...

The way I've worked out what I've wanted is through sleeping in the back of the subi with all my gear for a weekend trip, being frustrated and deciding that it needs to be done differently. I'm still no there yet, my desired setup is still a muddle of ideas in my head!

Nachaluva, I forgot about those photos!

Cheers

Bennie

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:00 pm

the mounting plates for this tent of two thin steel plates that are joined together by a couple of bolts. to mount you attatch the bottom plate underneath the roof rack and the other on top then bolt together. what i wanted to do was the same thing but with the roof rails that run along the edge of the roof on the foresters, which the roof racks attach to. i would do this by drilling out four slits in the rails for the bottom plate to simply slide through. my concern is from were i have made the slits have i made the rails to weak to hold the weight?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:34 pm

thunder039 wrote:the mounting plates for this tent of two thin steel plates that are joined together by a couple of bolts. to mount you attach the bottom plate underneath the roof rack and the other on top then bolt together. what i wanted to do was the same thing but with the roof rails that run along the edge of the roof on the foresters, which the roof racks attach to. i would do this by drilling out four slits in the rails for the bottom plate to simply slide through. my concern is from were i have made the slits have i made the rails to weak to hold the weight?
OK i get what you mean now...

if yours are the same as mine they are made of plastic & although they're pretty strong i dont reckon you'd want to make too big a slit in it. Instead of using a thin wide plate can you use 2 sturdier but narrower plates, maybe 8-10mm thick? You still want to spread the load but without weakening the plastic rail.

Edit: Just reread your post...have you already made the slits in the rails? Can you show us photos?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm

havnt made the slits as of yet. the plates are thoes that come with the tent and i have seen them in action and the held the weight no worries do to it does have under support rails. so its not the plates im worried its the plastic in the rails on the car. i do think they would be able to handle the weight i looked at them before then are think and solid and hard

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 pm

thunder039 wrote:havnt made the slits as of yet. the plates are thoes that come with the tent and i have seen them in action and the held the weight no worries do to it does have under support rails. so its not the plates im worried its the plastic in the rails on the car. i do think they would be able to handle the weight i looked at them before then are think and solid and hard
It should be right mate! If you're really worried about the weight on the racks I'm sure you could plate the actual rails on either side and bolt these two plates together, incorporating the slit into these plates for the camper to mount to. This would help spread the load and should be ample for what you want.

That said, if you cut your holes carefully and not taking more than you need for the camper's mounting plate to fit though you should be fine. The lower the better for the hole = more rail to hold the weight between the plate and the bottom of the camper. My camper's got the same system, but probably not as strong I reckon - it's got those round handles on the nut so you can do it up as tight as you can with your hand, you can see the alloy plate bending so I figure it's enough, plus it doesn't move when cruising ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Camping and Travel”