Favourite camping spots

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
Tweety
General Member

Favourite camping spots

Post by Tweety » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Everyone has a different view of what a great camping spot is.
For us it has to be peaceful, very few or preferably zero numbers of other persons. Tap water helpful but not necessary, a place nearby of interest, birds, no unleashed licking dogs that chase wildlife, low grass is good, a safe campfire area and low to zero noise (power boats for example – yuk)
So we found a few. The latest was a real surprise. We have the “grey nomad’s bible” a book with all the “freebee” camping spots around Australia. We’d visited the spots listed from Mansfield to Myrtleford and found that just north of Whitfield there is a good one next to a small river with a low priced cost to use the caravan park toilets and showers. This time with a toilet/shower tent attached to our annex these facilities were not required. Monday and Tuesday we covered the sites from Benalla to Tolmie. The first ones we visited were merely small loops off the road- not really overnight grounds…then we arrived at the Stringybark Creek Camping ground.
The site has a maximum capacity of about 50 vans/families. No power. Concrete fireplaces at each site. Toilets. From the grounds there is a walk about 400 metres to a bridge and running creek where fresh water can be captured if you straddle the moss covered stream. The water- pristine. We caught some to lengthen our shower duration- I dare not drink it! I did so many years ago at Cradle mountain TAS and had the shits for a few days- too pure I think.
Then we walked a further 300 metres to the actual site where Ned Kelly shot 3 policemen. Plaques tell the intriguing story of how the gun fight progressed with one surviving policeman hiding in a wombat hole to escape being killed- lived to tell the tale. There are large holes all around- gold diggings. Ned would mine a bit to finance some of his crusades.
A sign nearby says that they have sprayed the blackberries. Some are shooting again. Think a short note to DSE as feedback about the berries and appreciation is warranted.
The Subaru engine proved its worth with 23 mpg towing the van (19mpg with the VW) and with more mid to high range power, even 110 kph is ok on the freeway but I prefer 95 where it is content. Those rear airbags work great for towing especially levelling the unit to reduce inner tyre wear. We stopped at Mansfield at a café in the centre of town. We walked 15 metres from the trike to the café, turned around and there were already 3 cameras clicking. People do find it an interesting rig.
I’d recommend the Stringybark Creek Camping Ground if you don’t need power. Like all sites- not during holiday seasons.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:07 am

No doubt you have been to the camp ground at the Jingellic Hotel then?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 am

co-incidence. My wife and I were contemptlating Walwa area before this trip but we didnt have much time because our cat was ill.

Definately on the cards to get there soon. Love Corryong, been there a few times.

Yeh, Jingellic camping ground and handy to the pub. saw the web site. sounds good

thanks busdriver.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:39 am

ok, it was our fav, but we bought a holiday house in the other direction down the river so we dont go there anymore. Be aware that it does get very popular at peak times, like xmas and new year, and it does get a few woofers as well. For us, being free and close to the pub and having hot showers that you get tokens for from the pub (cold ones are free!) made it all worth it, as well as having pub meals at the bistro from Thursday thru to Sunday for lunch and tea.On ordinary weekends you may be lucky and find you have the place to yourself, or you may find a chapter of some bikie group with 50 harleys has moved in for the weekend.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:58 am

good. we dont camp in peak times- you just dont enjoy yourself.

will try it sometime.

Return to “Camping and Travel”