Big West -> East trip

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
akpv

Big West -> East trip

Post by akpv » Sat May 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Planning a bit of a drive leaving in 2 weeks time. Rough plan at this stage is

Perth - Karijini - Great Central Road - Uluru - Oodnadatta Track - Lake Eyre - Strezleki Track - Camerons Corner - Sydney (ish)

Depending on road conditions I may reduce the amount of dirt as I have a fairly tight schedule so can't afford too many low km days. I have got the permits already for the above.

http://goo.gl/maps/pLX2d

If any one who has done some of these sections and has some must sees let me know, any information appreciated.

Also be interested to hear peoples thoughts on any spares worth taking. I have a 2000 forester and plan on doing fluids and plugs before I go. Ill throw in some oil, cable ties and a 20L jerry. Ill also throw in a tyre plug kit and other basic tools. Any other suggestions would be great.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sat May 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Sounds like a great trip
I would take a spare cv shaft or at least spare boots and tools to suit
Have a good time take plenty of photos

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

akpv

Post by akpv » Sat May 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Not a bad suggestion. I actually have a couple of spare boots, bands and tools so I may as well chuck them in.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 11, 2013 7:10 pm

and a snorkel and goggles going by the rain report for the top end :)

have fun looks like a great trip.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

akpv

Post by akpv » Sun May 12, 2013 10:27 am

I play underwater hockey so I never go anywhere without my mask and snorkel.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 12, 2013 10:48 am

akpv wrote:I play underwater hockey so I never go anywhere without my mask and snorkel.
a very breath taking sport :)

28 day forcast says low to mid chance of rain in the NT, they may as well do long range forcasting with a chocolate wheel :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 pm

That's a hellova trip!

Haven't driven through the interior yet but it's on my list.

You'll love Karijini! One of my favourite places.

Subscribing with hope for many photos. ;)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

akpv

Post by akpv » Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I have pulled a spark plug out of my forester a few times for inspection, always pull the front drivers side plug as it is easiest to access without removing anything. Last night pulled a few other leads, looks like my plug tubes seals need doing. A fair amount of oil in 3 of the 4. Glad I had a look last night, gives me time to arrange parts for the weekend. Was pleasantly surprised by genuine part prices. Total cost for 2 rocker cover gaskets, 4 plug tube seals and 10 bolt seals was about $120 (I assume this is without any trade price / discount). Although this is not amazingly cheap I thought it was pretty reasonable for genuine parts compared to what I have experienced in the past. Have subaru parts dropped their prices with the strong aussie dollar?

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu May 16, 2013 4:08 pm

I did the oodnadatta , Strezleckie and Birdsville tracks plus Camerons Corner in June last year. I spent nearly 5 weeks out there and loved it so much i can't wait to get back out there. You will have a ball. Don't for get to take a fishing line as the Yellow Belly in Cooper Creek at Innaminka are good eating

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 16, 2013 4:41 pm

That does sound very cheap :D

I'd take spare radiator & heater hoses, belts, coolant, hose clamps of various sizes, fencing wire or a few steel coat hangers, rope & toolkit. Also your recovery kit in case you need to get someone else to pull you out.

Most important of all...your camera & sense of humour if it gets really wet :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

tony

Post by tony » Sat May 18, 2013 12:39 am

I wouldn't bother with spare cvs or axles, if one goes you usually get thousands of ks before it actually breaks, as for boots just wrap thick canvas or plastic around them tpo protect them, if you are not going to go into real tiger country you are unlikely to damage them and even then they will still go for mles .
tools..go through the tool kit and chuck out any that don't actually fit your car, most tool kits contain several that don't fit and they just add unnecessary weight,a tip for water which i use is to save up the bags that go in wine casks, wash them out and use them for your drinking water. they are tough, are suitable for drinking water, and can be frozen solid in just about any shape to suit storage, they weigh nothing when empty and store away easily, so you don't have empty containers taking up space.
ask your local tavern they usually use a larger one for the house wine which holds a bit more.
if the taste of wine is not to your liking see the chemist he can advise what to use to clean it out.
one of those folding shovels is handy, and a simple test probe from big W or malz wll only cost $5 or so and can be worth its weight in gold for electrical problems.
if you go through a lot of spinifex make sure you stop and clean the underneath of the car every now and then it can bulk up and catch fire.
A jacking block of about 50mm x 200 x 200 wood (a chunk of 12mm aluminium is not that expensive, is lighter and takes less space) can literally save your life in soft sand, never never use one of those standard scissor jacks they will kill you they are so unstable. get a wind up with a long collapsible handle.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat May 18, 2013 12:41 am

Second the snorkel, as the rains have started up here in NQLD, way way way late this year. When i was out there last year (Townsville to Alice Springs the scenic way) the roads are not to fun or very fun depends on your outlook when they are muddy.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

akpv

Post by akpv » Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks tony, some good suggestions there. Im well versed with the use of wine casks, I use them a lot for kayak and bushwalk trips, the house wine tip is a good one. I agree about the CV stuff, pretty unlikely to catastrophically fail out of the blue.

Have serviced the car now. New rocker cover gaskets, plugs, leads, oil, oil filter, braided brake lines (from ken) and fluid flushed and a new knock sensor (was throwing a code every now and then). I had a slight miss which is gone now, it must have been the oil in the spark plug tubes hampering ignition.

Also bought and fitted an awning, it is an OzTrail RV Awning. Camptrax are selling them on gumtree for $260 which seems a reasonable price.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun May 19, 2013 2:46 pm

you are going to love that awning when you need some shade in the middle of nowhere!

I would get rid of those wingnuts though. its just asking to be stolen! I try and use nyloc nuts wherever I can to avoid stuff coming loose on the corrugations.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

akpv

Post by akpv » Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Ha, I was taking it off this morning and I thought exactly the same thing! Easy to steal. For some reason I didn't then think I should just put some nuts on instead.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Love the awning :cool:

+1 for the nyloc nuts....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Post by 60766244 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 am

NachaLuva wrote:Love the awning :cool:

+1 for the nyloc nuts....
Seconding this whole post. ^^

I had people nick one of my kayak-holders from my forester roof racks! (Had four holders) Just wanting to cause problems for me. :\
You can only buy replacements in packs of two...
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

kievlar

Travel with Google

Post by kievlar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Get around in an unknown city with directions for public and personalized transportation, in addition to biking and walking routes. See estimated time and even cost of travel all on one screen. You'll be able to plan your trip and get the most out of the journey with Google simple to use tools.

akpv

Post by akpv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Great point chicken kievlar.

PS Made it safe and sound, got rained out near oodnadatta so had to take the bitumen from SA onwards.

akpv

Post by akpv » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 am

Some photos of the trip here if anyone is interested:

Return to “Camping and Travel”