Brumby's first Fraser Trip

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
sti-typeR

Brumby's first Fraser Trip

Post by sti-typeR » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:11 am

Well, finally got my project brumby (Ej20t conversion auto 4.444lsd 2in lift l series rear struts, king springs, 27' nankings) rego and on the road last thursday. Next day at 3.30am on the way to Fraser Island.

Suprised how well the old girl travelled. It loved to to sit on the soft at 60/70klms then being punched up to 100klm. Awesome!

The only issue was the rear end did seem to bounce around a little bit, and the front end could be an inch or two higher.

However, come Saturday afternoon it developed a little problem. went through a bit of water (nothing too much) planted it, it coughed, stalled and the enginge light came on and that was the end of that. The engine would not load up/ travell past 3000 rpm or free rev past 4500 rpm.

So had to limp home with no power. Still was suprised how it seemed to idle through the soft though.

Will be having a look at it this weekend to see what went wrong. i am nearly thinking that it may have jumped a cam gear? Any suggestions?

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:37 am

bummer bout ya car, hope it goes well, do u have any pics of it?? Sounds like a bit of a beast...

sti-typeR

Post by sti-typeR » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:52 am

Yeah should work out all right. sorry about the pics don't have any updated pics apart from what was on the old board.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:16 pm

I would think u have water in them big plugs that come off the engine... U know the main ones. Unplug them... spray in some WD40 or INOX... then see how u go.

I have been doing a lot of water crossings lately and found the other day that this was my problem... engine code said the knock sensor was faulty when it was just water in them plugs.

If this doesn't work... check other connections and see what engine code comes up to help u locate the problem. I doubt u have done anything major.

Also i have found in some cases that water has leaked into the heads were the spark plugs sit. The spark plug leads are meant to seal this from water but they don't do a great job. This tends to make the car run like a bag but doesn't usually show a fault code.

There is also a chance it could be unrelated to the water all together so keep an open mind. With modification comes un-reliability.

Dave

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:56 am

water in the throttle position sensor connection sockets can do similar things to what you describe

How would a standard road height Brumby go on Fraser Island ?

sti-typeR

Post by sti-typeR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:19 am

Hadn't really had a chance to look at it yet spent most of the weekend nursing a hang over and getting all the sand and salty mush out of the car. Sand was everywere ended up stripping the whole interior and giving it a full clean out.

yeah it probably won't turn out to be too much (i hope) but i tend to lean towards the worst most of the time.

for example my other car (2 door sti wrx) was having problems. It seemed to be hitting the rev limiter/boost cut out extremely violent at about 3-4 grand. thought it may of been fuel surge etc as it also did it when turning a corner or going through a round about. ended up buying a new 500hp in tank pump just to be sure. but that didn't fix the problem. turned out that the cam pickup was loose and was half fallen out. oooops.

thanks for the tips guys!

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:03 pm

As most ppl who take Ej's into water or even just get the engine wet, will notice that problem and common things to look at are Tps, Afm or leads are the main culprit's. hope all is well ;)

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:58 pm

EJ20T's don't have leads, guys. They have coils on the plugs.

Take out the coils and give them a good blast out with WD40. Also, what fault code is coming up? The cam angle and crank angle sensors seem really sensitive to me, I had a bit of grit on the cam angle sensor and it refused to work. I'd be checking the timing cover gaskets, see if there's any way sand could have got in there (behind the balancer even) and check those sensors.

Ben

Post by Ben » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:33 pm

Try reseting the ecu fault codes too, sounds like its in limp home mode to me...

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

sti-typeR

Post by sti-typeR » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:37 am

Well i finally got of my arse and decided to have a look at my brumby. Found some error codes of the net. Error code 23 faulty mass air flow sensor. Luckily had one spare, so 10mins later it was going strong once again.

Kind of makes me wonder why i didn't just do that in the first place!

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:47 pm

well my lib wagon (Ej 22) sucked up a few litre's of water in the last floods we had here on the coast.. it was my bad i had the induction pipe to low to the ground (under the front bar).. anyways back to the story,
i just replaced the oil. fired the litres of water in my pistons out everywhere and replaced the airfilter cause it was soaked.. and yeh she started first time and has run perfect ever since :D much to the horror of my mate is his skyline how was following me, he didn't get out so lucky :lol: :lol:

Return to “Camping and Travel”