Gleno's New Tyres

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

RSR 555
Elder Member

Gleno's New Tyres

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 am

Hi Gang,

Yesterday we just fitted new tyres to Glen's new ( secondhand but new to Glen :) ) alloy rims. The tyres are 185/80R13 and check out the height difference. I reckon they fill the space up nicely. Glen (with only some small help from me) fitted his 3" Lift Kit himself. Not bad for a 16y.o. The Touring wagon is the EFI model and has an auto box but Glen has plans to fit an EJ engine and a manual d/r into it. Stay tuned...

And here's some proud young adult in his toy... (edit - got told off for calling him a 'kid')

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Thumbs up mate...
Good on you.. what rims are they? (nice looking)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks AP.. not sure on the brand of rims (nothing written on them) but I used to call them 'Turbines'

They certainly changed the look of the car :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm

They look great. I don't know if it is the same wheels or not but you used to be able to buy a Cheviot Turbo wheel in a 13 for subies.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Is that a 3 inch lift kit?! It certainly doesn't look outta place with the near stock tyres :D

Very nice, He'll love it once he ditches the auto let alone getting an EJ!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 am

Outback bloke wrote:They look great. I don't know if it is the same wheels or not but you used to be able to buy a Cheviot Turbo wheel in a 13 for subies.
Yeah Brett, I think you're right. I couldn't remember the name but thought it started with a 'c' The good thing was these rims came all neat and clean and with all their mag nuts. Getting harder to find nice mags for the old girls.
El_Freddo wrote:Is that a 3 inch lift kit?! It certainly doesn't look outta place with the near stock tyres :D

Very nice, He'll love it once he ditches the auto let alone getting an EJ!

Cheers

Bennie
Yeah Bennie, it is a 3" We brought the old wreck off Dutchy because it had the manual d/r box and the lift kit in it. Glen took the wreck to pieces and got to learn heaps about his car.

Speaking of ditching the auto and EA, it might be coming earlier than planned. Whilst we were doing some engine checks today, I found #4 cylinder is down on compression... so now we are gearing up to get all the bits together to put the EJ and manual in asap :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Bugger about the compression... It'll still tick over without any problems or is it jerking around?

That 3 inch doesn't look out of place at all. Me likes (and desires)!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:43 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Bugger about the compression... It'll still tick over without any problems or is it jerking around?

That 3 inch doesn't look out of place at all. Me likes (and desires)!

Cheers

Bennie
Engine starts and runs but has a slight vibration at idle and under load it hesitates taking off. I reckon it's ok to drive for now around the city but not good for a long trip (fishing) or 4WDing. Just another reason to get the EJ in faster :P

3" lift is definately the way to go but I'm not sure if we'll get it passed DPI without the Engineers Report :???:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:15 pm

You'll be right at the pits. Plenty of people I know have done exactly that (passed 3" kit with no engineer report), have a go :)
It comes down to the mood the inspector is in mostly.
Having 13" wheels is a good advantage for you, they seem to be quite anal about original wheel size.

Amazingly the person I know who had the most difficulty passing their lift kitted L series over the pits was Jaffa - and his was 2" with engineers certification!

It helps alot if you just don't mention the lift kit. No reason to draw attention to it.

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 pm

Lovely. Looks as proud as me in my Touring wagon on day one. ditch the bullbar and roofracks and ittl be a sweet machine. good job, and best wishes.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 pm

It does look neat, white always helps. Those mags look like the Cheviot Turbo or Turbines I have on my Brumby, neat how subie hub cab fits them. Get the purple polish or the one in the gold tube onto them and they come up real shiny. Came out in gold or black, these mags, so even if you painted em up gold they would not look out of place. Good work Gleno

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 pm

maxxair wrote:Lovely. Looks as proud as me in my Touring wagon on day one. ditch the bullbar and roofracks and ittl be a sweet machine. good job, and best wishes.
It's Glen's offroader as he has a G1S2 Liberty sedan for his everyday run around so I'm pretty sure he won't ditch the bar or racks but you're right, he's really proud of it :)
steptoe wrote:It does look neat, white always helps. Those mags look like the Cheviot Turbo or Turbines I have on my Brumby, neat how subie hub cab fits them. Get the purple polish or the one in the gold tube onto them and they come up real shiny. Came out in gold or black, these mags, so even if you painted em up gold they would not look out of place. Good work Gleno
They do like better in person, the picture really doesn't do them justice. I'm thinking they have been sprayed with a clear lacquer with does make them a little dull but easier to keep clean.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

masterguitarshreader

what are those tyres

Post by masterguitarshreader » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 pm

what tyres are they I wouldnt mind a set for my car?
no more 91 l series, no more liberty sedan , 92 l series this time i will do all the mods i wated to do with my last l series, lift , wheels ,kings, roof basket, snrokel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:56 am

Kuhmo 185/80R13 available through your local Tyrepower store ;)

They are a whitewall tyre but the white part is on the inside.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

masterguitarshreader

what are those tyres

Post by masterguitarshreader » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 pm

what is the make number for those tyres i have checked the kumho website and i cant see any tyres of that size?
no more 91 l series, no more liberty sedan , 92 l series this time i will do all the mods i wated to do with my last l series, lift , wheels ,kings, roof basket, snrokel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't think you'll find them on their website as they are not mainstream item. They were/are produced for the older cars like EH Holdens and the like.. Just pop into your local Tyrepower store and ask for Kuhmo 185/80R13 and you shouldn't have any trouble. Glen got them for a special price (sorry I can't remember off hand) but they were like $75 each but Glen will remember and maybe even have the receipt which may have some other details (like part #) on it??

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 am

Looking great Glen!

It looks so much better with the lift ay!

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”