Scorpion wheels.

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

Willie

Scorpion wheels.

Post by Willie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:08 pm

I have always liked the Scorpion wheels on the Subaru's.

Does anyone know if these are still made / available?

I saw a set once painted gun metal grey on a Silver L series wagon - it looked real neat. Wouldn't mind doing something like this for my wagon ........................ maybe :?
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:18 pm

Mate i wouldn't recommend them.

I got my old man a used set of 5 for his stock L wagon. Every single one of them has cracked and leaked where the center is welded to the rim. For $190 a piece i would expect much better, and mike wasnt interested in doing anything about it.

As much as i support Mike and the good work he does at his workshop, I cant deny the trouble i have had with these rims. They have been a nightmare.

Granted these wre used rims that must have had a hard life before i bought them, but still for every single one of them to fail is pretty bloody average.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Fang

Post by Fang » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Brett brought up a good point a while ago - about the extra "track" (offset) Speedies have. They tend to fit into the wheel tracks made by bigger 4WDs - especially in beach cuttings. Scorpions have the standard L offset.

I've had my Speedies going on 3 years now - purchased second hand.

Its a pity the Speedy doesnt have the correct spigot hole size - they'd be great wheels.

A bit disappointing to hear of the troubles had with the Scorpions - I would have expected better.

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:29 pm

They were mine weren't they Dane?

Were they ok when I sold them? As far as I was aware there was only that one that was leaking. Do you need your money back? :oops:
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Jack

Re: Scorpion wheels.

Post by Jack » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Willie wrote:I have always liked the Scorpion wheels on the Subaru's.

Does anyone know if these are still made / available?

I saw a set once painted gun metal grey on a Silver L series wagon - it looked real neat. Wouldn't mind doing something like this for my wagon ........................ maybe :?
I've got Scorpion wheels (they came with the Brumby when I bought it) and I like them a lot. They fit neatly and as they have the correct offset there is no need to fit wheel arch flares. There are no cracks or damage to my Scorpion wheels but I'm a conservative driver and I readily admit they haven't had a hard life off-road.

Latest info I can offer you is that yes they are still being made and sold by Michael Collins, but he doesn't have any in stock at the moment. He told me earlier this week that he is planning to make more rims in the near future.

I suggest that if you want some wheels, then give Michael a call and let him know (Ph: 07 3245 4342).
http://www.scorpionsubaru.com/

Jack
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

Subaru - Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 am

Yeah I am talking about your old rims Nathan.

They arrived in the condition you said they were in mate so i have no problem with you. Mike being completely uninterested in sorting them out though - that really bothered me. My old man rarely goes offroad, so its not like he has hammered them.

We have given up on repairing them now, one took 7 atempts at welding them up to get a seal. The welds are all full of bog! so it makes them hard to repair. We just stick tubes in there now.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:25 pm

I feel really bad about that. Tell your dad I'm sorry.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”