Tyres sizes on a Brumby

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

Manonamission

Tyres sizes on a Brumby

Post by Manonamission » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:18 am

Gday Guys

I have many plans for my Brumby one of them is new tyres and what ones fit (either on road or off road) on a stock brumby with minimal panel beating. A two inch lift opens a wider range of sizes (as we know) what sizes of off road tyres can fit.

What size tyres (on road or off-road) would could fit (with minimal panel bearing) on 14 inch rims on a stock brumby?

What size off road tyres fit with 14 inch rims on a brumby with a 2 inch body lift(With minimal panel beating)?

Also what size tyres do most of you guys run on your brumbys? Whether it be stock or modified.

Cheers MOAM

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Tyres sizes on a Brumby

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:50 pm

Hey MOAM,

I’ve got 14 inch rims on a stock brumby with the stock rolling diametre. Can’t remember the tyre size exactly but will post once I check them again. My brumby is the one up the front with the white rims:

I’m unsure of the details on the lifted brumby behind mine, it was a chance encounter and I couldn’t hang back to wait for the owner to have a meet and greet.

Phinzinza (old member that hasn’t been on here for ages) ran a stock EA81 Leone sedan on 14 inch desert rat rims with 27 inch Kumho tyres. It was a beast but he did a lot of hammering of the inner guards behind the front wheel and I think he did the L series front control arm mod too, this changes where the wheel is in the arch of the guard, which also requires trimming to make it work. This is the only pic I seen to be able to find of it on my photo account:

Also, my biggest question is do you really want to be smashing a hammer into your brumby doing (economically) irreversible damage to it?

For the two inch lift option it would be worth contacting Subarino via bookface as he should know what tyre sizes work. I know there was a 26 inch tyre choice out there that a mate ran on his EA81 wagon with a 2 inch lift. It’s the second in from the left:

The most common seems to be the 27 inch tyre. I’m not up with what needs hammering or trimming etc. Hopefully someone else will know more.

The other thing to consider is rim offset. The usual go to was the desert rats or speedies back in the day. Both looked the same but had a slightly different offset. This effects how the front wheel turns in an arc shape, this can effect what it touches and what it misses. Then suspension compression adds another layer of complexity to it too.

What it might pay to do is look into what tyre options are available to you. I’m saying this as the 14 inch rim used to have loads of options but now seems to be quite lacking. The 15 inch rim could have more options in the tyre size you want but you sacrifice tyre wall height with the larger rim for the same 27 inch diametre tyre. It’s something worth weighing up.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Manonamission

Post by Manonamission » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Bennie

With the tyre 27” tyres on a 2 inch lifted brumby there’s a small amount of cutting on rear lower part of the guard and flaring the front of it. Also folding a lip on the inside of the guard. So that’s all that I remember from what I’ve been told. There could be more.

After a couple of hours reading and measuring there’s a few “safe” options for a stock ride height brumby on 14” rims

There’s the option of the 185/70s (which is the same size already mounted to the rims) or smaller sidewall. Another option is 185 14c which would require fender rolling I believe. Any larger and some cutting is needed.

I don’t think running tyres BIGGER than 27”s on a 2” lifted brumby is popular because a lot of panel beating is needed and most people I know are uncomfortable with going at their pride and joy with a “persuader”.

The Sunnies I’ve got my hot little hands on have a slightly different offset than stockies and paired with a stock suspension set up they poke ever so slightly.

I’ll talk to SUBARINO and see what sizes he would say tomorrow

Cheers, MOAM

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:12 pm

I've got 26"(ish) tyres on my 2" lifted wagon, 205/70/R15. Also have the L series control arms (slightly modified) and longer adjustable radius rods. Probably too much work for most people but I didn't have to cut my guards or bash the wheel wells in. Apart from the part of the guard which hangs down below the bumper bar, I chose to remove that for other reasons.

Manonamission

Post by Manonamission » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:49 pm

Gday Silverbullet

With your setup
How much does it change your handling if at all?
And how hard (If anyones looking) are the L series control arms to find?

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”