Motorway tyres...Great service report

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

aspro

Motorway tyres...Great service report

Post by aspro » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:45 pm

Hey people,
I've been on the look for for a new set of offroad oriented tyres to suit a 14" rim and found suppliers here in WA of little use. After endless non returned phone calls and responses of "yeah we can get em,but not for another 3 months" (I mean what if I needed another one pronto?) I was left with 2 new tyre options, both of which would be over $200ea and well out of my desired spend. Of course to contact manufacturers direct is near on pointless.
After viewing a previous thread on the topic , I decided to follow up on Motorway tyres ( they are based in Stawell country Victoria) and their winter tread remoulds.

First I did a google and found quite a number of very positive reports on a number OZ 4wd forums. Impressed I contacted the company to find where my nearest distributor was.

Sadly they informed me that their WA distributor had unexpectadely closed shop and were woking on estabishing another, but were more than happy to do whatever they could to help me out if I could find a cost effective way of getting a small volume across the Nullabor. A quick call to Jayde transport here in Perth confirmed I could get 5 of them shipped from their Melbourne depot to perth for $82.

A call back to Motorway tyres confirmed that they would be more than happy to redirect their delivery truck to the melbourne depot to drop a package of 5 tyres, recieve payment direct to their company and co-ordinate with my freight company for the drop off and redirection.

All along I've been informed of progress of my small request by email and the service has been a refreshing experience.
In total its costing me a total $285.75 for the 5 tyres plus the $82 for freight
Thats only $73 per tyre. My tyres are now in transit.
Motorway tyres if your product delivers half of the service your sales team does I will be more than impressed.
Any one else used these tyres?
Cheers,
Aspro.

PS, these guy do a monoform tyre called "the mongrel". It won the warn outback challenge. Looks awesome... wonder if they would ever consider doing it in a 27" tyre :-)

lukes6

Post by lukes6 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Yeah i have a set of these "Winter Treads" on at the moment. I dont mean to ruin your excitement but they wear very quickly on the road. Off road they are awesome however they are a very soft compound which meant that i only got about 7000km out of the two on the frount. This is however probably still good value for the money that you pay for them. I managed to get mine for about $45 each, thats in SA though.

aspro

Post by aspro » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:28 pm

ok, thanks for that. I take it yours is a part time 4wd. I always wore my fronts out quickly on my brumby. Am running AWD in my L series now so i guess we will see.

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:34 am

Yes, my brother had the Motorway Mud Terrains on his Suzuki, we found the same thing - Excellent customer service and unbeatable prices, however quality was a little down.

It was actually cheaper for him to run BFGoodrich Mud Terrains because they lasted so long.

The Mongrel Retread (31") and the Mongrel Remould (32") are copies of the Simex Extreme Treckers.

Good luck with them, you will love them!
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:58 am

Just been looking through they're site, they've got some nice looking tyres, I particularly like the Bronco and the Gripper, the mongrel looks like fun but probably a little harsh for what i'm after.

Gave them a call to ask a few questions and it was answered within 2 rings by a real person, how often does that happen now days, they were very helpful and are emailing me some info.

Catch is the don't have any offroad tyres between 26" and 30" I was hoping for some 28's for the outback :(

Short of some lift and hammer work there's no way I'm going to get 30's on there is there?

Jordan.

PS: Told Amy about this and she says "Looks like we're going to have to lift it then" thats my girl
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Congrats buddy. Look forward to the testing phase – will make my decision then. However given that this is a cap or retread you would expect an increase in wear due to the fact that it’s a way softer compound. Great for winter over here just hope that they are not TO soft and get ripped to shreds. As I said look forward to the testing phase.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:01 pm

A few of the guys I wheel with run 33" mongrels ... I'd kill for a set that fit the subaru. Altho I did see these on USMB :

http://www.itptires.com/mudlitextr.html
27x9R-14
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

PHATnob

Post by PHATnob » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:57 am

FUK!!! those tyres are PhatNOB Style!!! Yeah.

tassyraider

Post by tassyraider » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Ya, go the PhatNOB! U need tracks mate...:)
Attachments
blue TraxAV.gif
blue TraxAV.gif (16.13 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
current ej18 awd targa brumby
95 impreza awd sportz wagon

aspro

Post by aspro » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Got the tyres fitted up today, sitting on my 14" desert rats. Very, very happy.
No problems with hitting guards, though I have had to remove the mudflaps. (diameter of tyre is 654mm or just under 26") It only just misses though so, for all those wondering what the max dia you can go to with out hitting guards with 14" desert rat rims this is it.
Tyre is even chunkier than it looked in the picture I've seen.
The "pluck" test showed the rubber to be a good bit harder compound than I was expecting :-)
There is a bit of noise... whine starts at about 65kph, but you have to expect that with a lugged tyre. Depth of tread is 10mm. So I will monitor it to see how quick it wears.

So far very happy.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Photos of them on the car pls! :)
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

aspro

Post by aspro » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:29 pm

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Gee they look alright. 8)
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

subanator

Post by subanator » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:13 am

Good work, what tyre width are they, by the looks about 7-8 in?
I think the height is great, cos the 26" will help gearing better.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

aspro

Post by aspro » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Good work, what tyre width are they, by the looks about 7-8 in?

They are 195 75 R14
so that converts to 7.677" wide
Had a freeway trip this morning.... only a bit noisy it dosnt seem to get worse at higher speeds.

Cheers,
Aspro

aspro

Post by aspro » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:47 pm

just an update...
have done 3500 km and have worn 1.5 mm off the front and 1mm off the back. So given 10 mm tread deapth that equates to 32500 km from the set. All told if I get 25000 out of the set it will be very good value.

Had em in the mud and they bloody awesome....
very very happy.
Big apology folks
I just remeasured with my deapth guage and relised I made an error.
Before I measured at the shoulder... this time I measured at the tyre centreline.
Ammended figures are 3.5 mm wear on the front and 2mm wear on the rear.
This would mean the maximum life I could expect from them is 12727 kays
Still happy with them tho!

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:03 pm

Yeah, sure sounds like you've done well and you can't complain about the wear rate I guess.

What other agressive off-road tires have you driven on to compare them to?

Fang

Post by Fang » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:13 pm

Any more comments about their on-road abililty? Am quite interested in these myself when the Coopers die.

aspro

Post by aspro » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Fang wrote:Any more comments about their on-road abililty? Am quite interested in these myself when the Coopers die.

please note the edit to my last post

On road they are firm and grippy. Alot less roll than my last tyres which were 70 profile road tyres. These have a much thicker sidwall.
They are loud. worst about 65km ph, by 100 you don't hear them much at all.

aspro

Post by aspro » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

MUDRAT wrote:Yeah, sure sounds like you've done well and you can't complain about the wear rate I guess.

What other agressive off-road tires have you driven on to compare them to?

please note the edit to my previous post

The only other offroad tyres I've run on a subie were 185 75 r14 firestone sherpa's.

They were also brilliant in the mud. BUT LOUD... mate I reckon I suffered permanant hearing loss after having them on for 18 months.

Comparing the two I think they are pretty similar in characteristic and feel... the sherpa's were way louder.

The motorway tyres are speed limited to 140 kph

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”