Opinion:Tyres for Outback

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

INEEDABEER

Opinion:Tyres for Outback

Post by INEEDABEER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm looking around fot some new A/T type tyres for the Outback.I'm thinking of Dueler d694(205/70 R15),Bob jane has them for $145.Any ideas on these or others would be appreciated.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:37 pm

they arent a bad tyre gav, brett runs them on his outback, and i have a bridgestone dueler on my car that im happy with, for around town running and beach they will be good for your car
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Michael_va

Post by Michael_va » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:29 am

The Desert Duelers are OK if your only having one set of tyres for everything.

If you are able to afford two sets of tyres, one for general street use and another set for outback/off road, then the mud terrains are a much, much better deal.

The Desert duelers will clog up in a split second, in any mud and turn into slicks, giving you "stuff all" traction.

The mud terrains will stay relatively clear in mud due to their ability to self clean, tossing the mud out of the lug spaces as the wheel spins.
The mud terrains are also far better in deep loose sand, giving a degree of "paddle like" effect and better traction that the Desert Duelers simply cannot ever match. The Muddies also provide better traction over rocky terrain.

I have worn out 2 sets of both tread types and will no longer buy Desert Duelers. My choice is a radial street tyre for my 90% daily driving needs and keep my "Muddies" for the fun trips into the wilds.

Hope this helps,

Michael

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:22 am

on the other hand.. hanging tyres is a pain in the ass. I havnt bolted my road tyres on in over 18 months. I just cant be bothered any more!!

what you want em for Gav? I assume you will still use your ute for any serious 4x4 trips?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:49 am

The Desert duelers will clog up in a split second, in any mud and turn into slicks, giving you "stuff all" traction.
I'll second that, so will Danger. He saw how soon I lost traction at Wollogorang. If I had the old muddies on there I wouldn't have hesitated in where I was driving it.

They are a good quiet tyre on the road. The postie has them on his car too and I reckon he would say the same.

If you don't want a big muddie then look at the Hankooks. I used to have them on one of my old Libertys and they worked well offroad. Bloody noisy on road once they start to wear.

For a beach/road runner the duelers are good. Although when brand new they aren't much chop on the beach. The tread edge is very square and actually cuts in to the sand. Now mine have worn down a bit they are getting much better.

I hated them when I first got them but now don't mind them.

I did get an unusual amount of punctures with them this year up in the gulf when last year with muddies I got none. Call it bad luck or bad tyre I don't know. Just a lot different.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't like the bridgestones, never have, but appart from Bretts punctures they seem ok on the subies. I'd still go something like what Dane runs over them though.
http://www.goodyear.com.au/TyreDetailAc ... m=3PerPage
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:38 pm

i've got the bridgestone 694 in a 215/70 16.They are a good mix for bitumen and dirt.Seemed to be wearing well .
It the size you are looking at there is a great range of tyres from alot of brands.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Ive ended up with BFG Long Trails they seem a good compromise between crappy Deuler H/T's and expensive A/T's,and about the same price as the H/T and tougher as well.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:43 am

i had BFG long trails on my black liberty...VERY impressed with the handeling and the wide abilities on a variety of surfaces

d
ave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”