Moderator: Junior Administrator

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:48 am

The new tyres to consider:

Bridgestone Ecopia EP850
General Grabber GT

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:51 am

Alex wrote:Teos are very quiet, very smooth and pretty precise. Bloody brilliant tyre.
I checked via carsales.com.au -- the Toyo Teo Plus appeared in my size. However, I got Michelin XM2 (and it is coming to an end of its life now).

I read a comment somewhere that if the price for Toyo and Michelin is the same, then one should get Michelin, as it is much better.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:10 am

I have Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus on the Forester and I'm really happy with them
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus looks like a good tyre, however it is not available in the SUV size for me.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:55 am

I'd be wary of Bridgestone. Lots of people get them & say how grippy they are, but then dont notice them slowly lose grip as the rubber hardens. All tyres harden with use & age but Crapstone tend to do it more than any other tyre. Its a very sneaky ploy they have to "wow" people with their grip when they first get them, but to harden up significantly to give good tread life, which they are known for.

Remember, its a choice... good grip OR good wear. You cant have both!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

valerian

Post by valerian » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:04 am

valerian wrote: I got Michelin XM2 (and it is coming to an end of its life now).
About a year has passed since that comment, but my XM2 tyres are still coming to an end of their life :D . It looks like I will be getting 5k km more thus bringing the mileage to 60k km. And, what's more, the tyres keep a good wet grip and a low noise. I am impressed, and I am now a Michelin believer :p

valerian

Post by valerian » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:28 pm

An update. I got another set of the Michelin XM2 tyres. The old ones have done 56k km, and I could probably keep them until 60k km. What I noticed, though, is that they easily pick up nails. Over 2 years, I had two puncture repairs. My previous tyres Dunlop LM703 were hard, and I never had problem with punctures from nails, including driving on rocky country roads. The Michelin tyres have a soft compound, and they are designed to enswathe the small features on the road which gives them their superior grip. But this makes easy for the nail to get into tyre, too. A few days ago, I discovered two small nails in one tyre, and another tyre was getting bold at the edge.. so that I decided to get the new tyres now.

Costco was selling the tyres at $20 below RRP, and they gave a discount of $70 from the set of 4. I asked the local Bob Jane to match the price. After installing I discovered that they did not provide free lifetime balancing and rotation like Costco did. I am not going to them anymore... in fact, this was what I told myself 6 years ago.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”