Front wheel scrub with new 14' Sunraysias - '87 L series

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

ruarimac

Front wheel scrub with new 14' Sunraysias - '87 L series

Post by ruarimac » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm

G'day, Ive just fitted new 14' Sunraysias with 185R14 Maxxis muddies to my
'87 L Series. There is minimal clearance to wind on full lock in 2WD (after removing the front mudflaps), but as soon as I select either 4WD Hi or Lo, the front wheels scrub with barely any lock turned on the wheel. Can anyone help?
The wagon has no suspension lift fitted, I suspect that a 2 inch suspension lift might fix the problem.
Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Dann

Post by Dann » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:54 pm

I had 185/65/R14 and they scrubbed the mud flap and the flares, Then I got a 3 inch lift with 195/70/R14 tires on and It hasn't rubbed once. just thought I might pop that in there.
but I know alot of people cut the too ends of the wheel arches because of that.
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 am

Due to the offset on those model rims, they will always rub without some sort of lift. I'd recommend a 2" body lift and a 3" suspension lift but a 2" all round will be fine for no rubbing.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:28 am

As paul said its due more to the offset in the wheels than the tyre diameter. If you don't want to lift it then you could try to get some stock offset 14" wheels, trim the gaurds or get a lift kit. Phinzinza has put forth some really good arguments against body lifting, but in reality it's probably the most straight forward way to get clearance for your tyres.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ruarimac

Post by ruarimac » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Cheers for the advice chaps, I was thinking of a 2-3 inch suspension lift only. I don't have the time to stuff about with the mechanical mods associated with the body lift. Will the CV's cope with a 3 inch suspension lift?

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 am

Body lift is better because you wont change the angle the CVs have to work at. With a 3" susp. lift you will definitely cause drama. Im sure someone can explain it better but the end result will most likely be pointing you towards a body lift. They are not hard to fit either. However getting a kit can sometimes be a hassle. Good luck :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 am

A three inch suspension lift isn't done on the libertys and foresters AFAIK. You will be chewing through drive shafts like they're going out of fashion!

The L series is narrower than a liberty and thus a change in the suspension lift the same as a liberty or forester will put more of an angle on the CVs in the L series which is what will cause you trouble.

As already said, the body lift is the usual way of doing things with the L series - it's tried and tested with good results. The full lift all round isn't difficult to install either.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”