Toyo Open Country or Cooper CS4

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

foxx510

Toyo Open Country or Cooper CS4

Post by foxx510 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 am

My 2 gen outback is due for new rubber. I currently have Falken t110s on it, I'm currently tossing up between Cooper CS4 or Toyo Open Country H/T. Anyone want to offer thoughts on which is the better tire? Lots of bitumen use, lots of gravel and very occasional mud.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 am

imma say cooper... mostly because they,ve never let me down

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:22 am

toyo.

cooper make shit tyres. All their 4x4 tyres chip and lose big chunks, thats enough for me to not buy any tyre they make.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

foxx510

Post by foxx510 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:56 am

I'm leaning toward the toyo at the moment. Not real cheap though, they are $200 each. Should get good tread life though.

GOD

Post by GOD » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Don't have any experience with Toyo, but I can't recommend Coopers. Mine have chipped and worn quickly, and the mileage guarantee doesn't apply outside cities (handy for a "premium" offroad tyre eh?)

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

foxx510

Post by foxx510 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks guys. Found the Toyos a bit cheaper so it looks like I'll be going for those. The Cooper warranty sounds utterly useless and just like marketing bullshit. Interestingly all the dealers I spoke to used it to try to sell them.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 pm

I'v only had Toyo ROAD tyres before but was very happy with them.

Have you thought about Yokihama Geolanders? Bob Jane has a special at the moment...buy 4 & get $100 cashback. I was gonna wait til i did my suspension but i think i'll be doing that 1st. Only thing i cant decide is H/T or A/T.... :?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

foxx510

Post by foxx510 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 am

I thought the Geolanders had a terrible reputation, if only for their squeeliness....

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:57 am

foxx510 wrote:I thought the Geolanders had a terrible reputation, if only for their squeeliness....
The Geolandar G900's certainly do... I've moved from them to the A/T-S all terrains and they are very good.

Never had any experience with Coopers, but Toyo's are pretty good as well, IMO.

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

foxx510

Post by foxx510 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:00 pm

The Geolander at/s looks pretty good and gets decent reviews. I think it's a bit overkill for the roads I mainly use, I just don't do enough mud driving to need that aggressive a tread pattern. Will consider it if that changes though. Thanks :-)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:23 pm

foxx510 wrote:The Geolander at/s looks pretty good and gets decent reviews. I think it's a bit overkill for the roads I mainly use, I just don't do enough mud driving to need that aggressive a tread pattern. Will consider it if that changes though. Thanks :-)
The Geolander A/T is bit more aggressive...have a look at the Geolander H/T. Its more of a highway tyre.

I think the code is:
Highway Terrain = H/T;
All Terrain = A/T.

I cant decide which to go for but it will be 1 of those 2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

valerian

Post by valerian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 pm

foxx510 wrote:I'm currently tossing up between Cooper CS4 or Toyo Open Country H/T.

Lots of bitumen use, lots of gravel and very occasional mud.
I have considered those two tyres and shared my Internet reviews findings in another thread, showthread.php?t=15299

Cooper CS4 is a T speed rated tyre for passenger cars. Toyo OC H/T is an H speed rated tyre for 4WD. The "passenger" part means that Cooper will handle better when changing the lines or turning around the roundabouts, even if it has a less speed rating (generally, higher speed rated tyres have firmer sidewalls which results in better handling).

For lots of gravel driving, when the tyre is quick to wear, a tyre with harder rubber is required. Cooper has a harder rubber (this is also why it has a lower speed rating). It is rated for 100k km, and warranty for that is given, but only in the USA. The Toyo tyre seems to be made of a softer rubber, and would wear quicker.

Both passenger tyres and Highway-Terrain 4WD tyres are made with 2 plys. This means the resistance to puncture is the same.

Both tyres have a generous amount of siping, so that the grip in wet weather and on gravel should be equally good.

For mud, both tyres would perform equally, and the performance would be bad.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Just got some Yoki Geolander AT-S...look very nice lol :cool:

Cant believe how deep the tread is! They look very serious....for a standard size that is lol

Cant wait to test em out in Robe/ LDNP :mrgreen:

Only thing is when i did a test drive after, there was some vibration under braking coming through the steering wheel! Any suggestions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Point

Post by Point » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:01 pm

make sure they did your wheels up tight...
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Yeah as soon as i noticed the vibrations i pulled over & ckecked em. Couple were slightly loose but nothing major. Pressure in 3 wheels was 38.5, other 36.0 warm. So i set em all to 36.0.

Had roadworthy 2mths ago & had new pads all round. Is there anything he may not have tightened up properly?

Weird thing is only noticed it with the new tyres...:confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

valerian

Post by valerian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47 pm

nachaluva wrote: Only thing is when i did a test drive after, there was some vibration under braking coming through the steering wheel! Any suggestions?
This might be ABS activating. The All-Terrain tyres are more slippery in some conditions, so that ABS brakes activate earlier.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 pm

valerian wrote:This might be ABS activating. The All-Terrain tyres are more slippery in some conditions, so that ABS brakes activate earlier.
No ABS :(

seems to have disappeared :confused:

I wonder if it was just tyres bedding in...never had that happen before tho...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:01 pm

i've got yoki geo AT/s and i'm very happy with them

altho, i now have cut 2 sidewalls :(
but thats with very low psi's on rocks, as i was going on tracks with rocks and boggy sand didnt have much choice, bugger!

and make sure you rotate and balance regularly!!

i run them normally around 38 for road,
20 for rocks/corrugations,
10 for sand,
lowest i've been is 8psi on sand including full lock-lock steering up n over dunes and around tracks.

based on coopers advertising i almost bought a pair, but after hearing feedback from owners, not that many said they would buy them again, where as i noticed more people would happily buy the yoki geo AT/s second time around.

i work in a store that sees lost of 4wdrivers and outdoor enthusiasts, and get to hear a fair bit from there aswell,
yoki's are popular in my 4wd club also, some like the BFG's as a cheaper alternative?
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

valerian

Post by valerian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 pm

longy99gt wrote:i've got yoki geo AT/s and i'm very happy with them
How would you compare the handling of the car equipped with the A/T tyres, with that of an H/T tyre ?

Here is why I am asking. I noticed there was a newly-released tyre Bridgestone Dueler A/T D697, a replacement of D694. I currently run a passenger tyre on my Subaru Outback, but I would like to put the D697 tyre with its aggressive look. But I do not want the handling and cornering capability to suffer. I had found an H/T tyre of a T speed rating was too squishy and let the car roll when turning. Now I have a passenger tyre with an H speed rating, and the car is solid when turning around corner. The T speed tyre had a soft sidewall, and the H speed tyre had a firm sidewall. The D697 tyre has an S speed rating, thus it should have a very soft sidewall. However, I hope the manufacturer made the sidewall firm, so that it would resist puncturing when off-road...

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm

i havent driven on HT's for a while now,
i do know their sidewalls are much softer,
been on ATR's for a solid year now,
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”