Biggest 15" tyre able to fit to modified brumby advice?

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

B00sting

Biggest 15" tyre able to fit to modified brumby advice?

Post by B00sting » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi all,

So i've just bought 15" steel wheels for the brumby.

I did a search using terms I thought might match up, I found two threads but they were relevant to L series only.

So heres my question and supporting information:

What are the biggest tyres I can run on my brumby before rubbing/scrapage occurs, with a rising sun 4" strut lift on the front, a 2" crossbred body lift, and a rear strut conversion to commodore struts. The front guards will be chopped as much as I need, as they are a spare set. The wheels/tyres will be powered by an ej25 and 4.44 ratios coupled with the ej25 box.

I would like to run 30" tyres if possible, and I believe this has being done before with less mods/cutting than I am prepared to do. I am interested in tyres that will fit under offroad conditions, not just sitting on the tarmac.

Thankyou.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Also willing to get the steelies widened if needed (I believe they are 15x5.5 or 15x6).
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

92brumby has 30" tyres on his Brumby there was a lot of cutting and hammer bashing:evil:
The thing is it sounds like you will have a great setup but with 92brumby he had lots of trouble with cv cups.
The shaft where getting pulled out of the cups in 4wd conditions i think he had to mod the shafts i went out with him at least 4 times and every time only 5 minutes in bang the shaft spun around every time. It only happened off road.
Send him a pm he will tell you what he did to stop it.

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:41 pm

yarney wrote:92brumby has 30" tyres on his Brumby there was a lot of cutting and hammer bashing:evil:
The thing is it sounds like you will have a great setup but with 92brumby he had lots of trouble with cv cups.
The shaft where getting pulled out of the cups in 4wd conditions i think he had to mod the shafts i went out with him at least 4 times and every time only 5 minutes in bang the shaft spun around every time. It only happened off road.
Send him a pm he will tell you what he did to stop it.

Jan

I am expecting this so I will be asking a CV place for their advice before going bush.

For the rears I have being told to fit the L series rear CVs to the MY shafts.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:13 pm

B00sting wrote:I am expecting this so I will be asking a CV place for their advice before going bush.

For the rears I have being told to fit the L series rear CVs to the MY shafts.
Sorry it was the rear i was talking about.

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Well I found bluesteels thread:
http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.p ... =bluesteel

Sounds interesting but no pictures!

AshR

Post by AshR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 pm

I hate no pictures :(

probably the best bet would be to check out brumby runner's build, he's running 30"s on there from memory.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Simex make: 29x7.5-15" Extreme Trekker 2

They are mud tyres and very aggressive tread pattern.
I'm thinking it might be smart to get these as 30/31 is tempting but may be hard to make fit perfectly. i wan't no scrubbing under extreme 4wd conditions.

AshR

Post by AshR » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 pm

you talking for crawling or racing ie jumping off stuff and pushing the suspension as had as it's made to?

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 pm

AshR wrote:you talking for crawling or racing ie jumping off stuff and pushing the suspension as had as it's made to?
not jumping or racing. and when i say extreme i mean extreme for a subaru. i understand the limitations these cars have for off-road use.

i just dont want scrubbing even with the major cutting i have planned, although realistically i should think about my gearing, the power i'm making and the possible tyre sizes and make a decision based on that in conjunction with someone who knows their shit.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”