upgrade to 4 pots on liberty..

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

woody.t

upgrade to 4 pots on liberty..

Post by woody.t » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 am

bought a set of 4 pots to put on the liberty as the gx brakes just dont pull it up quick enough for my liking.. i know it's all bolt on an off but i'm looking for advice on a few things so that i have no issues once i start and for once i can just replace stuff without a hiccup and a day or two without the car....
- the hill holder.. get rid of it or not? and if so whats the best away to go about deleting it in the system..

-break booster.. paul has spoken to me about this but i forgot what he said something along the lines of the 4 pot having a quarter inch larger booster sleeve and possibly and extra port for a break line?.. i know that some people put them on without changing the booster to any extent, does the upgraded booster give a sufficient increase in pedal feel/braking capacity? and do any of the lines need replacing to fit the 4 pots?

cheers..
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 am

4 pots are overkill unless you are doing track work or racing. I have 2 pots on my RX and they are more than capable of pulling me up. If you can lock up ya wheels, it means your brakes are pushing the limits of your tyres, which is why I have to find a stickier tyres otherwise I will be skidding everywhere.

The standard brakes on your Lib should be able to pull you up just as quick from normal speeds, you'd be better off to have your rotors machined and the pads replaced.

What wheels do you plan on using? There are only a few 17" wheels that fit over 4 pots so most people have to run 18" wheels
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 am

i shoppped around and found some 16's to clear them as i just bought some bridgestone all terrains that i didn't feel like replacing.. the gx brakes really struggled with the larger diamter diameter tyres and i needed to replace rotors and pads soon and i got the 4 pots with near new rotors and pads for not a whole lot more then the rotors and pads for my car would have cost
to do list:

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Never heard of anyone changing the booster - just bolt them straight on :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:14 pm

The Turbo booster is slightly larger and not required if going from RS (2 spot caliper) to late GC or early GD WRX (4 spot) brakes but if you're going from GX non turbo then I recommend it. I also was talking about (and mainly refering to) was the Brake Master Cylinder, as this is larger piston size allowing for the extra fluid to the caliper, as Tyrone is going from single piston to 4 piston front brakes.

The turbo models do not have the 'Hill Brake' holder system in them, so ths the reason for looking at using extra brake line. I also say "It's best to use what the factory uses or better"

Larger discs will also help with the cooling effect, as well as 'slotted' if you like them.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

woody.t wrote:i shoppped around and found some 16's to clear them as i just bought some bridgestone all terrains that i didn't feel like replacing.. the gx brakes really struggled with the larger diamter diameter tyres and i needed to replace rotors and pads soon and i got the 4 pots with near new rotors and pads for not a whole lot more then the rotors and pads for my car would have cost
I'm sure I saw your car with the black 16" WRX 5 spoke rims like the ones on the 1999/2000 STi which use the 4 spot caliper??
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

so ideally need to replace that sleeve and remove the hill holder... whats the best way to go about the hill holder? get a line and just replace it in the line? get some after-market brake lines and use them right from the master cylinder? or try source some factory lines from a wrecking liberty without the hill-holder (rs/auto?)
RSR 555 wrote:I'm sure I saw your car with the black 16" WRX 5 spoke rims like the ones on the 1999/2000 STi which use the 4 spot caliper??
it has the 16" forester gt's on it at the moment which don't clear them but i have some 99 wrx to be powder coated then put on
to do list:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Gannon wrote:4 pots are overkill unless you are doing track work or racing. I have 2 pots on my RX and they are more than capable of pulling me up. If you can lock up ya wheels, it means your brakes are pushing the limits of your tyres, which is why I have to find a stickier tyres otherwise I will be skidding everywhere.

The standard brakes on your Lib should be able to pull you up just as quick from normal speeds, you'd be better off to have your rotors machined and the pads replaced.

What wheels do you plan on using? There are only a few 17" wheels that fit over 4 pots so most people have to run 18" wheels
I think you are getting confused with the bigger Brembo 4 Pots that came on 02 STI's onward, he's got the 97 STI onward 4 Pots.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:01 pm

All FHI (Fuji Heavy Industries) 4 Piston Calipers are the same size and are cleared by the same type of rims.
Factory enhanced route is your best option, any WRX with 4 pots, you should chase the rims that car came on, the first rims to be equipped with 4pots were 16inch.

I used these with standard GX booster and master with no issues, the bias was a little off due to standard rear calipers, but very drivable and not an issue with non-frequent track use.
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 pm

woody.t wrote:so ideally need to replace that sleeve and remove the hill holder... whats the best way to go about the hill holder? get a line and just replace it in the line? get some after-market brake lines and use them right from the master cylinder? or try source some factory lines from a wrecking liberty without the hill-holder (rs/auto?)
If you're wanting to do the hard lines properly then use everything that came out on the RS Turbo. Manual and Automatic are the same. For the Master Cylinder, I would use the one of the WRX that the calipers came off. Vacuum Booster is up to you and how you like the 'feel' of your pedal.
woody.t wrote:it has the 16" forester gt's on it at the moment which don't clear them but i have some 99 wrx to be powder coated then put on
Oh yeah.. now I remember them. The 99 WRX 16" rims will be fine.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”