tyre load ratings index and tyre placard

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

steptoe
Master Member

tyre load ratings index and tyre placard

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm

It seems the RTA boys are looking a little harder at tyres being fitted up to some cars - the load rating and its index number

http://www.bobjane.com.au/info/load-index-speed-symbol

and the tyre placard on the vehicle

Recently looking at an Astra with 20" rims, tyre placard inside the fuel filler states must be load index of at least 91 - which according to the chart above is 615kg each tyre. The 20" jobbie was just load rated 85 or 515kg. The load rating is usually the next two digits after the tyre size - this one was 225/30 -20 85W.

Looking at my own tyres etc, GLTA tyre placard inside drivers door states must be min of 444kg per tyre - think that falls about index 80 so the 82 rated tyre on it passes.

Been looking at some of Bobs tyres 195.50 15 with an 82 load index so our L sedans are close to its max.

Anyone got a L wagon tyre placard weight to add here? Touring Wagons may be higher than others.

The Vortex is a little beafier - need to check it fits in with the 82 index.
Starting to wonder if tyre joints take this into account when selling tyres to price conscious buyers ?

Reckoning the ones caught out may be when rims go from vehicle to vehicle. Not too sure insurance companies would be happy in the event of a claim with a car with incorrect load rating

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:33 am

I know it is slight off topic - but recently I was looking for replacement tyres for my work's FG Falcon, While i was asking for quotes for new tyres, I was well aware that insurance wont cover you if you have incorrect rating, therefor my ute has to have rating of 99 or over, otherwise its unroadworthy and if an accident caused by incorrect tyres you wont be covered. I was surprised that a lot of tyre places (7 out of 10) didn't even care or know what rating it should have!! (worst one was 91 rating I was quoted)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Bang on topic AP ! Have never had it raised as in asked what it is gong on or had a tyre placard referred to if I have simply asked for price on a certain size tyre. If asked, the answr has been just an old Subaru.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”