Tyre advice

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

subalseries

Tyre advice

Post by subalseries » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey there :)
I own a Subaru L Series Sportwagon with a 2 inch lift and 14inch sunraisers. Last summer (rainy season) i ran 14inch balloons (tyres) with road tread on my suby. It did very well suprisingly, took it around glasshouse mountains in deep mud and through water almost up to the bonnet height. Basically the car loved it :) i am keen to get out there again,this time i want to take it to the next level. I was looking to spend most of my time in the mud again however with the exception of doing some sand driving as well. Im after some advice on the best bang for your buck tyre that will do well off road. Im not after mud tyres as i want to try some sand driving also. Would be keen to come out on some local cruises also however i want the confidence of tougher than car spec tyres :D.
Tried numerous tyre companies to get the same dumb expression and response, 'ugh we dont really carry AT tyres in that size you need 15 inch or larger'. One even laughed about me and my car when he was on the phone to his tyre monkey mate about the possibility ordering in such tyres.
So basically i need some advice please any one in Queensland who could recomend some cheap offroad tyres and where to get them

Wesvo

Tyres

Post by Wesvo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Try and look up on Beaurepaires or another car tyre compnay they should be able to get 27 or higher for fourteen inch! Or if you want you can do some work to the area around the wheel so you can fit 15 teens and 32 inch tyres! Hope this works

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

i run corsa m/t`s on my brumby with 2'' lift & 14`s. there are still a number of tyres available from bfg /nankang/yoko`s. just shop around. also if you can,there is a club meeting tomorrow night for the subaru 4wd club of qld at belmont. look up the website[www.subaclub.com] for directions.plenty of people will offer suggestions if you are willing to come along and ask.

subalseries

Post by subalseries » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm

phil nelis wrote:i run corsa m/t`s on my brumby with 2'' lift & 14`s. there are still a number of tyres available from bfg /nankang/yoko`s. just shop around. also if you can,there is a club meeting tomorrow night for the subaru 4wd club of qld at belmont. look up the website[www.subaclub.com] for directions.plenty of people will offer suggestions if you are willing to come along and ask.
Thanks Phil, i will be fixing her up tomorrow and hopefully will be able to make it :)
How do you find the corsa m/t's as i found them for $140 each at bridgestone, its just they would not be suited to sand driving right?

subalseries

Post by subalseries » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Wesvo i like my 14's though am not too keen on going bigger to 15 as my L series is only ea82 powered mate

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 pm

i`m only running an ea81 and when i go sand or beach i drop pressures to 18/20lb and have very little trouble.use 2nd gear l/r in the soft and change back to h/r everywhere else. i bought mine for $110 ea fitted and cost a carton of xxxx gold for wheel alignment.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”