60766244's Custom Spare Wheel Holder for Brumby

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

60766244's Custom Spare Wheel Holder for Brumby

Post by 60766244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm not working until the new year so I have had some spare time.

I have a 1990 Brumby ute with an EA22 Engine conversion, this, thus, means there is no space for the spare wheel to fit in the engine bay any more.

Right now the spare's held in place over a wheel arch with a bike lock and a ocky-strap (messy, but functional).

The solution?

I have seen mounts on the roof, I have seen mounts on rear (guyph_01's wagon is a nice example), but for me the mount is going in the tray, on the passenger side.

I scouted my pile of junk from about the house and sheds and decided on some 13" rims of no use to me and a section of box-section to cut up for the rest of it.

For the project I went through 10 or so ultra-cheap Chinese welding rods that my grandpa bought years ago (He passed away ~10 years back, these are old rods and look corroded), 3 cutting disks and used half of a flapper disk for the angle-grinder.

Other than that the project has cost me $30 for some Wheel-hub bolts w/ nuts and some 10mm bolts w/ nuts from the local SCA.

How I went about it:

First up I cut up two 13" rims for their centers. I cut two up as I figured I might want a second holder one day or if I stuffed this first one up, or if someone I know wanted to make their own.

13" rim

The hacking begins

Double the freedom

Paint and rust removed on both via use of the flapper-disk

Cont.
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Cont.

Post by 60766244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Getting the arc tuned up (read: remembering how to weld ;))

Weighs in at about 100kgs...

I chopped the other end of the block into an angle, but forgot to take a photo...

Then welded it together.

Every bit that could be welded, got welded. What I lack in skill I try make up with volume and enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

Cooling off:

Cont.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Cont.

Post by 60766244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Measuring by eye

Once I had banged the hub-bolts into the hub-holes I welded them in with equal gusto.

(Forgot to take photos, but this gives an idea. Overkill I know...)

I then cut some of the box section into a bit of flat-steel to act as a brace on the inside of the cab, drilled some holes (for those 10mm bolts) and it had some interesting results.

The spring steel in the box-section once flattened and flapper-ground, curved out, meaning it would automatically keep everything extra tight and prohibit rattling. So planned that one. :rolleyes:

So the plan is: Spring steel plate -> Cab Wall -> Bracket

Hopefully this is strong enough. The tyre is planned to be sitting on the tray floor, so this bracket is just to hold it upright and neat.

Cont.

Cont.

Post by 60766244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:59 pm

I gave it another 20 brushes with my favourite matte black spray paint

Let paint dry overnight and vuala.

I have yet to mount the frame for a few reasons:
- I am still trying to find another 14" so I can make the Brumby wear the rest, and I don't want to have to re-bolt the holder back on when I change from the 13"s
- I am considering getting the tray rhino-lined so that will change the tray height marginally and I want the tyre just so sitting on the tray bed.

Will upload a photo once I have met those conditions... Enjoy :mrgreen:

Fin.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 am

Cool idea mate.
I'd do it but I don't want to hack up 15" rims lol.
I have another idea that I'll post up when it's done (god knows when)!
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Post by 60766244 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm

B00sting wrote:Cool idea mate.
I'd do it but I don't want to hack up 15" rims lol.
I have another idea that I'll post up when it's done (god knows when)!
You'd only need to find a 13" from a wrecker somewhere and steal the good bit. :P They're worth $10 or so for them since there's so many 13"s around. Hell, I couldn't give away my spares so I cut them or scrapped them.

This is assuming yours is still 4x140 pattern.

Ever since building the holder this way I've had another idea on how I could make a bracket - bit of thinking on the 800km drive down south and back...

...Which I might build with the spare cut-out I have. :rolleyes:

Should be simpler and more effective, I think, but If I have the parts lying around I should be able to do it.

I'll see how much time I have over the next week or so and I might knock it together. :)

It would be cool to see someone elses ideas on the topic.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm thinking if I pull my fuel tank out from under a spare might fit neatly on a hanger bracket by Ford or the like, mount it with rubber bung plug access to check its pressure once every ten years or so :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:53 pm

HEY ! What is with the WA pride Subaru sticker ? This is AUSubaru.com not WAsubaru.com!!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

steptoe wrote:HEY ! What is with the WA pride Subaru sticker ? This is AUSubaru.com not WAsubaru.com!!
WA are a very proud state! They organised these stickers ages ago - on the forum too!

Nothing wrong with them, I don't know how a vic one would look, or if there would be any interest in them anyway :rolleyes: Plus my windscreen sticker is good enough for now, might need a new one soon though.

I'm looking forward to some fitted images :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Almost...

Post by 60766244 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 pm

steptoe wrote:HEY ! What is with the WA pride Subaru sticker ? This is AUSubaru.com not WAsubaru.com!!
Hehe I dig the stickers. I have some plain 'AUSUBARU.COM' ones but the biiig sticker like that I could not resist sticking on that back window. :rolleyes:

The plan is to do the chop and change of the bracket either Monday night or Tuesday morning depending whether I go out for dinner that night or go shooting in the morning... So photos should be up at that night. :)

I have 99% of what I need, just a big wing-nut is missing... Surely you've all worked out what the plan is now. :mrgreen:

Hopefully Bunnings or SCA has one or I might have to do a custom jobby on it.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”