MY Wagon rear bumper spare wheel carrier

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

Cliff R
General Member

MY Wagon rear bumper spare wheel carrier

Post by Cliff R » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Firstly, I have something like 225 new posts to get through as August was totally work orientated and no time for anything else.
I did though manage to obtain and fit a spare wheel carrier to the MY touring wagon and this was only possible due to the assistance of "Proton Mouse" (John) in selling me the carrier and totally going out of his way to organise getting the carrier to me via freight.
Many, Many thanks John.
I have taken a couple of dozen photos of the carrier as I stripped its paint off and repainted it.
If there is a good way of getting these photos onto the forum they may be of use to someone if they are interested in the same thing.
I don't know about anyone else but I am yet to see another one of these so it will be interesting to see if it becomes a talking point at some stage.
My only regret is I didnt get the carrier sand blasted and professionally painted as I spent much time and money in paint stripper, undercoat and paint whereas sand blasting etc would certainly have been easier and probably cheaper.
It is worth noting my auto engineer in Newcastle was shown photos of the carrier and the previously fitted 14" rims/tyres and allowing for this info coming to me via photos only and no physical viewing by the engineer he e mailed me stating the spare wheel obstructs the LH rear lights and would need additional lights fitted in the carrier bar (now fitted as per photos) as the lights need to be visible at 45 degrees above the horizontal and at least 45 degrees towards the opposite side of the vehicle. The lights had to remain symmetrical, so I had to fit lights into both sides of the bar. A
Again, from the photos, it appears that the tyres dont need flares. as if you look straight down from above the the tyres are covered.
I realise when the engineer views the car physically the situation with the tyres may change and if this happens I have 6 metres of flexiflares at the ready.
Hopefully, the 3 photos I am attaching come out OK and if anyone wants more info please let me know.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Here is the 3rd photo again (I think)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Very nice job on the rear bar & very nice MY :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:17 pm

NachaLuva
Thanks for the comments.
I look at the car and think the same.
It is showing its age (32 + years old) though and the rear door and both rear quarter panels and all doors are still 80% Ok for paint.
Both front guards, bonnet and roof are totally stuffed.
Gotta love old metallic paint, NOT

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”