Need new tyres

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

JP147

Need new tyres

Post by JP147 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 pm

When I went in to the tyre place today to get a puncture fixed, they informed me my tyres are over 14 years old. They aren't too bad for their age, buy it is time to get new ones.

They no longer make BFG A/Ts in that size, and only thing they had in my price range was Kumho mud terrains for around $160 each. Seems good to me, anyone had any experience with them or recommendations for a better tyre?

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:02 pm

You can get the KL71 Kumho's off ebay for $105ea plus shipping which isn't much for 4 ($29 for me).

I abused the hell out of my old Venture M/T's which I believe use the same carcass as the new KL71's. Almost bullet proof tyres.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:37 am

Awesome, I will get them. Shipping is around the same for me.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:58 am

Hi, can I ask how you get on with the increased gearing using the bigger tyres? I have some 205/75/14's on my brumby (fitted by previous owner) and when I was down the back paddock last night getting sticks for kindling, tried to backup a small slope to turn around and it simply would not do it, had to resort to using low range.
The previous brumbys all had 65 series tyres and were happy to go anywhere in high range but am wondering if it is just that this one is gutless or the gearing is so badly out with the big tyres? (I must admit they look great with the 2" lift kit)

Peter.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:28 pm

pedroj wrote:Hi, can I ask how you get on with the increased gearing using the bigger tyres? I have some 205/75/14's on my brumby (fitted by previous owner) and when I was down the back paddock last night getting sticks for kindling, tried to backup a small slope to turn around and it simply would not do it, had to resort to using low range.
The previous brumbys all had 65 series tyres and were happy to go anywhere in high range but am wondering if it is just that this one is gutless or the gearing is so badly out with the big tyres? (I must admit they look great with the 2" lift kit)

Peter.
The ideal solution is to swap in a 5 speed from a 3rd gen which has lower gears and also a 3.90 final drive. But this is a lot of work and while lower gearing would be nice, I am quite happy with how the 4 speed performs.

At first it struggled a little, but I have properly tuned my Weber 32/36, fixed all vac leakes, adjusted the timing to factory specs, and most importantly started using premium unleaded petrol (really this should be used in all engines made for leaded petrol). This allows the engine to comfortably run at lower revs while still making good torque, so the larger tyres feel natural and it can perform better off road.

I never bothered with high range 4WD, even with the small tyres. If I need 4WD, I probably won't be going fast enough to need high range and low range just feels more comfortable.

If you have trouble getting up a slope, check your carb is not running too rich. Often they will run rich when the car is on a slope, so it might be too rich to make power on a slope if it was already too rich on flat ground.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks JP147, the carb on mine (original) is hopeless at the moment run very rich (lucky to get 300km from a tank of premium) just waiting for some pay days to save up some money to look into it further.
Peter.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:33 pm

It depends on your offroad driving style as to if the large tyres are an issue. Personally I'm going with 185/75R14 this time around because I don't like the high gearing even with a 3.9 L box. But like I said, it's a personal preference thing.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”