L series Sunnies on an MY

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

Cliff R
General Member

L series Sunnies on an MY

Post by Cliff R » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:50 am

I want to get the original MY 13 x 5" Alloy rims off my MY and use my set of L series 13 x 5" Sunny style rims of my last L series which was a 92 model.
I am toying with fitting 185/75/13's to the L series Sunny rims.
I imagine people will be saying I should just go with a set of 14's (easier to get tyres/more options for sizes etc) but I have just painted up the L series rims and will be using them on the MY regardless so while I have bare, freshly painted rims, I thought I may look into the 75 series tyres.
As the L series rims have a deeper offset (by about 10mm or so more than the MY rims) I don't know if the 75's will scrub even with the 2" lift fitted when on full lock.
I know185's will fit on the 5" wide rims but I don't know how hard 185/75 series are to get as I haven't looked into this yet.
Failing a difficulty in getting the 185/75/13's I may look at 175/75/13's which may be more obtainable.
Failing this, I guess I will just go with the existing 185/70/13's but I thought I would ask for peoples experiences.
In the long run I don't know what I will end up with but for now I am staying with the L series rims and have no interest in pursuing 14's so I need to work out the best options for the 13's.
I guess I am looking for extracting any ground clearance I can with the 75 series tyres and the max width with the 185 sizing. This now comes down to the L series rims and if the offset will cause issues.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:51 am

I think I am answering my own questions here but a quick ring around of our local 3 Tyre services revealed no chance of any 175 or 185/75/13 Tyres, not sure if they can even be bought any more.
185/70/13's certainly need to be ordered in meaning the only readily available option is the 175/70/13's which is the standard tyre for the MY.
My goal is to fit the L series rims for a no frills, clean looking, nice rim meaning I can put the Alloys into storage. This means I will probably order a pair of 185/70/13's in (already have 2) and go with this.

Bantum
General Member

Old Tyres ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:41 pm

Yeah - I feel for you, sorry its been ages since I had to buy any tyres for my beast, as the last time I got any were Goodyear's 'grand rallys' 185 /75 / R13 ... :rolleyes:

I doubt if you can still get them, might be worth trying the second hand market see if any are still floating around.

Another option is to try online & do a bit of search to see what can be found ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks Bantum.
I think the bottom line will be to choose a tyre that is readily available though may not necessarily be in stock all the time.
I would hate to buy (5) 75 series tyres, have one blow/be unusable for some reason and not be able to get another one.
I need to be confident the tyres I choose can still be bought,
I guess this means I will be choosing the 185/70/13 as I already have (2) of these on the rear so I will only have to get another (3) for the front and the spare.
I will follow up on just how available the 185/70/13's are but I don't think there is any real issue with these, they just aren't in stock locally.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”