At tyres for 2015 forester

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

boca

At tyres for 2015 forester

Post by boca » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Guys
I have a 2015 forester running the tyres that come with it . I have had 2 punctures and 3 heavy side wall gouges just exposing the steel belt in the worst .(this being scraped in third flat.).
The vehicle has done 25,000 kms I drive about 15% on dirt the rest bitumen all tyre damage bar 1 flat was on the dirt road. Dirt road well graded and maintained.
I was after some thoughts from members on all terrain tyres looking at maxis at 771 as my spare is this one now as had to get this as a spare as they had nothing else in stock.
My main concern is high way noise. I could tolerate 10% extra.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 pm

boca wrote:Hi Guys
I have a 2015 forester running the tyres that come with it . I have had 2 punctures and 3 heavy side wall gouges just exposing the steel belt in the worst .(this being scraped in third flat.).
The vehicle has done 25,000 kms I drive about 15% on dirt the rest bitumen all tyre damage bar 1 flat was on the dirt road. Dirt road well graded and maintained.
I was after some thoughts from members on all terrain tyres looking at maxis at 771 as my spare is this one now as had to get this as a spare as they had nothing else in stock.
My main concern is high way noise. I could tolerate 10% extra.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Hi,
some thoughts given we've done 90-95% on bitumen and the other 5-10% on dirt roads. Our tyres are comparatively skinny/high profile 215/65R16:

1) Check tyre pressures. Must be less than 35psi (and that's high...for getting back on the bitumen) esp if on hard, rocky ground. I got a star puncture due to excessively high tyre pressures on a dirt road on a hot day with the OEM tyres. Wrote off the tyre which meant I had to get 4 as they were wearing out.
2) OEM tyres only lasted 38,000km and that was pushing it past legality.

which led to...

3) Fitted Yokohama A/T-S. These are "all-terrain" type tyres with perhaps a road bias. They've lasted >100,000km, no punctures, still legal tread, great grip on dirt roads compared to the OEMs (which were really skittish), and *almost* as good on bitumen, in some situations possibly better. Noise isn't too bad, gets worse as they get older.
4) Some slight loss of fuel economy compared to OEMs.
5) In terms of fulfilling their design brief, they're the best tyres I've fitted to any car I've owned.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Second the yokohamas are awesome had 2 sets on my third i woouldnt get any others.

vernonbain

Re: At tyres for 2015 forester

Post by vernonbain » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Since you're from your stock Forester tyres, I can definitely recommend the Coopers Discoverers since they're still serving me well. I bought them since 2016 and I am comfortable that they can still run 'til the next 2 years. Lastly, your tyre's longevity also depends on the way you ride, where you drive them to and how you maintain them.
11 Verrell St, Wetherill Park, NSW 2164, Australia
Website: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/sydney/doub ... em-kayaks/

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”