And so it begins...

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
bretgc

And so it begins...

Post by bretgc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Hey guys, im in Subie "L" so to speak (which really i guess is heaven) because the time has finally come where i can afford to get the help my L so badly needs...the desert rats i ordered are finally here and shall be resprayed black very shortly, no more 13's :)...(i dont know why i like this black and blue thing) anyway...and i now have enough cash to get all new springs, shocks, cv's, steering bushes (hopefully done by the end of next week), and towards the end of the year, brakes (rotors and some other junk)...then somehow, between paying for flying lessons, save for an awd conversion :D :cool:

Cheers!

Bret

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 pm

noice noice noice!!

good stuff mate! you wont regret it :P

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 pm

haha yes, and so it begins. Remember pics, before and after ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:26 am

Hmmm... I too am hoping my L will get new bearings and bushes all round... then 3 inch lift, EJ etc etc Can't wait but need to get some cash together...

Will you be dropping an EJ in to drive the AWD conversion - you know you want to!!!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:46 am

Nice choice, definitely need an EJ to go with the AWD conversion tho, kinda no point otherwise!
Should paint the wheels white tho, black rims just make your car look like it's supposed to have hub caps but they've fallen off :)

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:27 pm

yeh the rims ive got on there atm r s**t but my 14" black desert rats r on the way :D and look a lot less like the hub caps have fallen off lol

regardng the ej, i would love to, but first i wanna c how much i can get out of my carby with hydrogen going through it...depending on how well that goes, i might look at dropping an H6 into it if thats even possible, and again c how much more i can get out of the beast with hydrogen running through it.

Bret

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:53 pm

hydrogen sounds like a cool idea. If your going to stay with EA for a long time then perhaps find an EA gearbox although AWD ones are pretty rare these days.

H6 is possible, it's been done, but you have to get pretty creative with the front end cooling - the front of the H6 pretty much sits where the radiator is supposed to go :)

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:03 pm

yeh to start with hydrogen will be easier to manage through the carby ea...but the prospect of putting an ez30 in plus hydrogen would provide much fun :D if i could work out how to cool it :S

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:18 pm

bretgc wrote:yeh to start with hydrogen will be easier to manage through the carby ea...but the prospect of putting an ez30 in plus hydrogen would provide much fun :D if i could work out how to cool it :S
6 inch lift kit with the radiator mounted above the engine :twisted: I believe its been done before in such a way that the radiator retracts up with the bonnet - cooling was provided by twin thermos and a bonnet scoop...

I'm hoping to play around with a hydrogen setup - there seems to be some pretty good examples on youtube with what you can do...

Cheers

Bennie

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 pm

oh that would be amazing...and expensive...baby steps me thinks. i should probably sort my career b4 i go spending the millions i dont have yet...hydrogen experiments for now.

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:25 pm

just when i thought things were going well for my L, i learn that my gearbox is slowly disintegrating...:(

GOD

Post by GOD » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Look on the bright side - gives you a great opportunity for that AWD conversion :)

Dane.

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:55 pm

yeh id love to but, again, thats A LOT of cash that i dont have...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:15 pm

bretgc wrote:yeh id love to but, again, thats A LOT of cash that i dont have...
Then start small - get a rusted out/bingled L (not rear ended though) that's 4wd and transfer over the bits you need for 4wd at least. Later down the track go the EJ and EJ AWD gearbox when you're ready to.

I'm getting the impression you feel like you're ready to give up on it all. How do you know the gearbox is falling a part anyway? Got oil in it???

Cheers

Bennie

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:31 pm

yeh its got oil in it...i just had a wheel bearing done cos i thought thats what the metallic grating noise was (sounded exactly the same as my last wheel bearing b4 i got it replaced)...but no, its my gearbox, makes an unusual clunk going into 4th, and between 30-40, 50-60, 70-80, and 90-100 there is that metallic grating sound i mentioned, its what i imagine it would sound like if there wasnt any oil in it...if that makes sense :???: which leads me to think it might (hopefully) be something small like a bearing. anyone had similar issues?

sorry if im over reacting, has been one of those testing weeks where just about everything that could go wrong has.

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:04 pm

woooooo, found a change over gearbox at Subareck (aka the gods of subaru in SA) 85000kms, 350 buks! hurry up pay day...

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:08 pm

ok, so new gearbox was fitted and I now know it wasnt the gearbox making the noise, although my linkages were completely trashed, so theyre all nice and relatively new now :D

and tomorrow work begins on suspension, steering and brakes which means no social life for bretty for the next few weeks as im down to my last piece of string :P

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Damn, I hope you got a 4wd gearbox instead of a replacement 2wd job...

Bennie

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 pm

yeh i thought about it, but went with another 2wd gearbox ($350, 85000 kms), im thinking ill keep the L as a road only car (for the time being...) so i went the cheaper option, we shall c what precipitates down the road.

on another matter, i wanted to know if my low fuel light works, so i ran my car almost dry to c how much i can squeeze out of a tank just driving to work and back over the past week and a bit...turns out it doesnt...but i got 850km out of her, so im keen to get some hydrogen into it to c if i can get 1000km. then id like to try and up the power more whilst trying to maintain that economy, just to c if it can be done lol

also got alpine sound system fitted, ipod head unit, 4 inch alpine speakers in the front and 6 inch alpine type s speakers in the rear. drowns out the problem noises nicely :-P

Bretty

bretgc

Post by bretgc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 pm

woooooo, finally got that new suspension, driveshafts and random steering components to get rid of that lateral movement i had. soooo much more comfy to drive.

turns out that the noise from the front end was the left inner wheel bearing i had replaced all of 3 months ago, which had started to seize :( dont know what the deal was but my mates bro who changed it back then wont be getting his hands on my car again.

get the black sunnies and new tyres tomorrow too and in a few months, some new brakes.

the hydrogen experiment is nearly underway too.

its all going to plan :twisted:

Bretty

Return to “My Subi”