1992 Subaru Brat EJ20T

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Brat-Man

1992 Subaru Brat EJ20T

Post by Brat-Man » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:36 am

Hi i'm Tim from all the way over in the UK & i drive a modified 1992 Subaru Brat that i've done an EJ20T conversion on ,it's running on stand alone management & is putting out 320 bhp (238.62KW) at the flywheel.
I build race cars for a living but i built this at home in my garage then took it to work & installed our company's own standalone engine management.
Here's a photo of it out on track
And here's a photo of the preview page of this months Retro Cars magazine as my truck has a 6 page feature in the next issue that's out on October 14th
Hope you guys like what i've done with it as there's only 3 Subaru Brat's that i know of that have had this conversion done over here as they were mostly used by farmers & they got beat to hell & rotted out due to the moist weather we get over here!
Tim..
1992 Subaru Brat EJ20T
1983 Honda Civic S
1981 Mini 1340

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:14 am

Hey Tim, good to see you found your way to the site. Any chance you can post up some under bonnet snaps?
Didnt realise you were in Bath, I was down there not too long back ! (nice place )
Keep in touch
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 am

I can see scruffy booked in for some surgery.

Curious as to what your stand alone ECU is - a start from scratch ECU that uses all original sensors or your own?

FAT rims - looks impressive

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Howdy Tim,
thats some good hp, what are you getting at the wheels.
Oh first Brat I've seen with the steering wheel on the right side, just like a Brumby from downunder, ehehehehe
Hylton:twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Tim may not have realised we call them Brumby, think the UK call them MV 1800's ? Many markets, a few names. Saw a long bed ute in a Nordic photo, it was red and looked to longer only in the wheel overhang at rear , may even been photochopped ? Wonder what the rest of the world calls them ?

Brat-Man

Post by Brat-Man » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm

steptoe wrote:I can see scruffy booked in for some surgery.

Curious as to what your stand alone ECU is - a start from scratch ECU that uses all original sensors or your own?
FAT rims - looks impressive
It uses mostly new sensors that we retro fit inc trigger wheel,crank sensor & air intake temp sensor as we only use 7 wires from the original engine loom to get it running!
Our website is http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk if you wanna have a look in a bit more detail!

olddog642 wrote:Howdy Tim,
thats some good hp, what are you getting at the wheels.
Oh first Brat I've seen with the steering wheel on the right side, just like a Brumby from downunder, ehehehehe
Hylton:twisted:
It equates to about 260bhp at the wheels!

steptoe wrote:Tim may not have realised we call them Brumby, think the UK call them MV 1800's ? Many markets, a few names. Saw a long bed ute in a Nordic photo, it was red and looked to longer only in the wheel overhang at rear , may even been photochopped ? Wonder what the rest of the world calls them ?
I'm aware you call them Brumby's over there & indeed they are called MV1800 over here but because i based mine upon the Tayima R/C toy from years ago which i had as a child i got the Brat stripes from the States & thats why i always refer to it as a Brat:D
The long bed one you have seen is not photoshopped as there was a longer wheelbase one made especially for the European market but we didn't get them in the UK:???:
1992 Subaru Brat EJ20T
1983 Honda Civic S
1981 Mini 1340

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:25 pm

The long bed one you have seen is not photoshopped as there was a longer wheelbase one made especially for the European market but we didn't get them in the UK:???:[/QUOTE]

Interesting.....I seem to remember seeing somthing on You tube about a brumby drifting in snow and it did look longer ain the bed.
Anyone cast more light onto this? Pictures etc.??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

this is the 1990 Finland spec Brat

stolen from http://www.indysworld.com/80s/

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Kinda looks out of proportion don't you think?
But it would let me carry 2 trials bikes AND shut the tailgate !! (can carry one diagonal and close the boot in mine)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Nice looking Brat! Interesting engine management, i'd like to see how it was installed in your Brat with the WRX motor. Did you need to use any of the loom from the donor vehicle or does the V4 cover all of that?

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:48 pm

1111giles wrote:The long bed one you have seen is not photoshopped as there was a longer wheelbase one made especially for the European market but we didn't get them in the UK:???:
Interesting.....I seem to remember seeing somthing on You tube about a brumby drifting in snow and it did look longer ain the bed.
Anyone cast more light onto this? Pictures etc.??[/QUOTE]

The guys from Iceland or Finland. They had a thread on here a few months ago

Stupid iPhone won't let me search the forum
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Brat-Man

Post by Brat-Man » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Venom wrote:Nice looking Brat! Interesting engine management, i'd like to see how it was installed in your Brat with the WRX motor. Did you need to use any of the loom from the donor vehicle or does the V4 cover all of that?

Cheers,
Rhys
I used the engine harness up to where it joins the main car loom on the plugs & wired the V4 in from there.
I can supply a pin out diagram if anyone needs it?
Here's a photo of the plug
and here's an engine bay shot
1992 Subaru Brat EJ20T
1983 Honda Civic S
1981 Mini 1340

sholinguteman

Post by sholinguteman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:52 am

While doing a bit of a search I came across another pic of the "longbed" Ute. "MO"

Return to “My Subi”