My '87 Brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
David D

Post by David D » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Just a quick update. I got it started the other day. I had charged my battery thinking it would rule that out as an issue but I still couldn't get it to turn over. Engine moved by hand but starter would only click. I thought the starter was bad at first but turns out it was my battery. I borrowed one from a mate and it started up. Still need an ignition switch as I can only get it to turn far enough without the barrel on but at least I know it still runs! Other than that, I'm just cleaning and tidying everything as I refit it.
Before I do the interior, does anyone know if it needs to go together in any order? Or does anything need to go in before or after the windscreen? I could probably figure it out but might save me some grief if I can learn from someone else's experience ;)

Cheers

David

thelman

Post by thelman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:39 pm

looking tops mate, but ya cant take my gold sunnies idea! Lol
Rides: Rupert, 89 Grey Touring Wagon. Olivia, 92 GX Liberty AWD Wagon.

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:00 pm

for the record, i am pretty sure i had the Gold rims before you did 8)

but they look good either way :)
Attachments
GEDC0029.jpg
GEDC0029.jpg (116.02 KiB) Viewed 2569 times

thelman

Post by thelman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:07 pm

you gotta be cool to have gold sunnies, like us!
Rides: Rupert, 89 Grey Touring Wagon. Olivia, 92 GX Liberty AWD Wagon.

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:21 pm

sure do! and i would be pretty sure we aren't the first either.

i wouldn't mind seeing a brumby with gold rims actually, red on gold sure would be something different! looking good :)

David D

Post by David D » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:38 am

Hahaha, don't worry guys, new wheels will not be a priority - plenty more to do before that! But when the time is right I am still tempted to join the cool gang and go for gold :cool:

David D

Post by David D » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 pm

I now have a new battery and today I visited a nearby wreckers and managed to pick up an ignition switch (and a jack handle) for 10 bucks. Fitted it when I got home and it works perfectly! Lucky I didn't just go ahead and pay for a new one from Subaru.

David

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm

thelman wrote:you gotta be cool to have gold sunnies, like us!
nope matt black is the go

and a good score on the price of the ignition barrel

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:51 pm

TOONGA wrote:nope matt black is the go
How does matt feel about this :p

Easy fix - glad it cost you next to nothing!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

David D

Post by David D » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 am

We're getting closer...

I now have a windscreen. It was a bit of a struggle for the guy to fit it but he got it in eventually. I'd bought a new (aftermarket) rubber off ebay and new rubbers are apparently difficult to work with. I was a bit unhappy with the chrome at the bottom afterwards - it wasn't sitting right. So I decided to pop the corner bits off to have a look and it was way too far to one side. I took it off to refit it and it sits better now but I butchered the chrome a bit.
I have also taken the car for a sneaky drive up and down the street just to see how it runs. Not too bad but will benefit from a tune up.
I'm still waiting for a carpet so I can finish refitting the interior and the engine needs a clean before the safety certificate.
Other than that I've been cleaning the pile of plastic bits on the garage floor and slowly transferring them to the car one by one...
Hopefully nothing too major will come out on the safety cert.....

David

David D

Post by David D » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Well, it was all going well. A little too well. I got my new carpet in the post and fitted that along with the rest of the interior. I put the seats back in and even managed to sort out the driver seat not tilting. There was a dollar coin stuck in the mechanism!
I put some brush on underbody under the front guards this morning and before I backed into the garage I decided to go for a quick run up the street to make sure everything was OK for the safety cert on Wednesday.
This is when things went bad. Somehow, the gearbox seems to have developed a knocking sound over the past week or so. It was fine last time I went up the street (and when I first drove it home). All I've done since last drive is fit the carpet and degrease the engine a little bit.
I'm gutted :sad: I changed the gearbox oil, grasping at straws, but it made no difference. Haven't really had a chance to think about what to do. I fear the box may have to come out but then I won't have a clue what to do with it even if I can get it out.:sad:

David D

Post by David D » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:52 pm

I've put a more detailed post about the knocking noise in troubleshooting

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:02 pm

David D wrote:I fear the box may have to come out but then I won't have a clue what to do with it even if I can get it out.:sad:
L series 5 speed conversion :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

David D

Post by David D » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:26 pm

I'd be lying if I said a 5 speed hadn't crossed my mind ;)
Gotta hope it won't come to that tho. I need this car on the road and my wife has been promised a new bathroom when it's done so if it's gonna be a big job to fix it, I might have to delay it a bit :(

David D

Post by David D » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am

Despite still being gutted about my noisy transmission, there is still some good news this week.

The Brumby passed it's safety inspection and is now registered! Yay!

As I said, the gearbox issue has detracted from the celebrations but it is still nice to be able to drive it and get a proper feel for it as I only drove it round the block before I bought it.

Pics soon. (I know I say that all the time - I'm so slack when it comes to posting pics).

David

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Good stuff mate!

Alpine Raven got his liberty knocked back for a road worthy because of the smallest knocking in the front end - turned out to be the front left strut knocking away over the slightest changes in the road surface. New struts and he was off.

Cheers

Bennie

David D

Post by David D » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:09 pm

As promised, here's a few pics. I put a pair of new front driveshafts in today and the knocking went away.

Still a few things to do but there always is with old cars....

David

Return to “My Subi”